Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edgeworthia

Posted by dirtyoldman z7B AL (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 6, 06 at 11:57

The hot new plant I'm seeing in winter gardens this year is Edgeworthia chrysantha, the paper bush. The first time I saw paper bush, it was labeled as E. papyrifera. According to Hortus, chrysantha and papyrifera are the same species. But the two plants don't look alike to me at all. The flower clusters of E. papyrifera are small, about the size of a dime. Those of E. chrysantha are much larger, about the size of a half-dollar. And I think E. papyrifera blooms earlier. Anyone care to shed some light on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edgeworthia

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 14:54

Many other species exhibit the kind variation you have described here. It's not necessarily significant taxonomically. Nowadays genetic analysis is showing that interpretation based on gross morphology (outer appearance) alone can be quite misleading.

Naming of Edgeworthia has been discussed on this site before, perhaps a old thread is still available.

o
RE: Edgeworthia

I have E. chrysantha in my garden -- it has been there for about 5 years now, and it's a traffic stopper in late February when the blooms begin to open. I don't know about the naming--I bought this as chrysantha. The clusters are about 2" across when fully open, and truly striking. I had expected more scent from it-- it is scented, but it doesn't scent the whole garden the way something like Chionanthus virginiana does, but it is nevertheless a very handsome plant. People have actually knocked on the door to inquire what it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here