Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

can I use this to grow in winter?

By Winter I mean stuff that is hardy enough it can be grown in winter as long as it has protection.

I was thinking of a miniature greenhouse? I found one that is 3' x 5'. The other standard hobby greenhouses are just too big and not an option, as I have limited space

for gardening.

My question is what crops are candidates for growing in winter?

I'd like to do root crops (carrots, turnips, rutabaga, beets, and big white asian radishes) as well as leafy green stuff (asian greens such as pak choi, which is baby bok Choi, regular chinese cabbage, lettuce, spinach, chard,

purslane, sorrel, and mache, which is also known as lamb's lettuce and also corn salad).

Other candidates are broccoli, cauliflower, etc.

I have a very short growing season (it starts in April for cool weather crops ends in October-November, December if I'm really fortunate). Live in the upper part of the lower peninsula in Michigan.

I do container gardening, so that's essentially what would be going into the greenhouse; it has to be big enough to hold the containers with the veggies in them.

Please note that this is just for future reference; I can't do so now, but it's something I'd like to do in the future.

Could I also use the greenhouse to transplant vegetables out earlier that like warm weather (this is NOT a substitute for starting seedling transplants indoors!) This would just be to get them out sooner to get a jump start on the growing season.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting