Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burying in winter?

Posted by BlakeInCanada 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 15, 11 at 19:09

I was talking to someone about my columbines & balloon flower (perennials) that I'm growing indoors, and at the time what they said slipped past me. But thinking back I don't understand what they meant.

They said (I think) I would have to move my plants out and bury them in the soil for the winter. I'm in 5b, so we get lots of snow in the winter.

I thought keeping them indoors all year would allow them to grow steady all year even if they only flower once.

Can anyone make sense of this for me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burying in winter?

Both those plants are hardy perennials and can live outdoors in your zone. Their natural lifestyle is to grow leaves and flowers in the spring and summer and to die back to a base of leaves or a root in the winter. Next spring they will grow back up again. They can continue this cycle for several years.

Most indoor plants hail from tropical areas where they are used to even temps and light levels all year round. That's why they can survive in our homes. Hardy perennials require a winter rest and trying to keep them growing all year round indoors will weaken them. You will be killing them with misplaced kindness.

They don't need to be 'buried' in Winter but they do need to be planted in the ground. This forum is quite quiet so for further help with hardy perennials you could try asking on the Perennial forum here on GW.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here