Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch Hazel 'Aurora' or 'Arnold Promise'?

Posted by amyjean 5 Central NY (My Page) on
Fri, May 7, 10 at 17:48

I am posting this question here because there seem to be quite a few very people here who are knowledgable about Witch Hazel, although my question is more in the line of "fall gardening".

I am interested in planting a witch hazel, but am not interested in the flowers at all, only in the fall foliage. I'm looking for very bright color, primarily yellow, but a mix of yellow, orange and red would also be nice. Fragrance, like the flowers, is not a concern.

I'm leaning toward either "Aurora" or "Arnold Promise". I've heard great things about the spectacular fall color of AP, but it's listed as "zone 5", and I fear I may be on the very edge of that, maybe tending toward zone 4 in my little micro climate here. Hence, my interest in "Aurora", which seems to be listed as a "zone 4" shrub, but I can find very little on whether it actually has really spectacular autumn color.

I would so appreciate any help on this. I don't have a lot of room to plant many things, so I hope to get this right.

Thanks in advance,

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch Hazel 'Aurora' or 'Arnold Promise'?

Did you ever find the information you were seeking on witch hazels?

If you're still searching, try the web site for Rare Find Nursery in Jackson, NJ; link is below. I've always found their web site to be a good source of information. Just enter hamamelis in the search box in the upper right corner of the home page and you'll find information and photos on many different witch hazels.

This nursery is about 20 minutes south of me; it's not far from Six Flags/Great Adventure ... but I'd much rather spend the day at Rare Find ;-) and is one of my favorite nurseries because they're serious, not glitzy, about what they do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rare Find Nursery

o
RE: Witch Hazel 'Aurora' or 'Arnold Promise'?

Hoping not to burst a bubble, but if you had not purchased yet, I would avoid 'Arnold Promise' as it is high on the susceptibility for leaf spotting fungus Phyllostica hamamelidis. It can cause leaves to curl and brown in the middle of summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here