Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm moving to Helena, Mt. --will these survive winters

Posted by rheene pnw8 (My Page) on
Sat, May 4, 02 at 21:12

I'm moving in about 30 days from wet Or. I want to take my hosta, lillies and iris with me--along with some other stuff-will these 3 make it thru Helena,Mt. winters without digging and storing----I have no idea what I'm going getting into so any help will be appreciated------thanks so much!!!
lorrene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm moving to Helena, Mt. --will these survive winters

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, May 5, 02 at 22:31

Hostas, lilies and bearded irises are often very hardy. You probably won't have many hardiness problems with these, unless you happen to have some less hardy, unusual kinds of lilies or irises.

o

OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...can I move out there with you?? I love Montana!! I used to live in Billings for a short while, back in '89 - and I remember that winter was pretty harsh, especially with the wind chill factor. I'd say your plants would survive the winter if you set them a little deeper than normal, and heap a lot of mulch on top of them when DEC rolls around.

o

• Posted by Jwj__ Rocky MT 5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 02 at 14:44

Well gee , your probably already here,, and now realize that all three of your picks do fine here,, I am not in Helena,, but further north,Montana is a little differnt the climates can change with in 10 mile in any direction,, however if you stick to plants rated for zones 4 to 5 you are fine,,luckily the snow cover adds alot of protections from the winter cold,, working as insulation,, mulch alos helps on the more tender plants,, the three you have listed grow well in my garden with out winter mulches,,
hope your enjoying the state,,
jwj

o
Helena, is part of the rocky mountian forums ,,

• Posted by Jwj__ Rocky MT 5 (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 16, 02 at 14:48

forgot to add, now that your here drop by the rocky mountains forum,, hmmmm

o

• Posted by Shag z4 MT (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 28, 02 at 16:55

I just stumbled upon your post, and wish I'd read it earlier. I live in Helena, am a landscape designer here and will tell you irises, hosta and lilies are almost definitely hardy here. I've had great luck with all three. You don't have to treat them any different than other hardy perennials. Whereabouts in Helena are you living? Weather conditions in the Helena valley are very different from those on the sides of our foothills (in town or just on the edge of town) and it's different if you're living in one of the outlying communities like Montana City or Clancy. We go from a solid Zone 3 to a zone 5 in certain sheltered microclimates. You can email me directly is you want to. Glad you're here!
Maureen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here