Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Witch hazel vs Viburnum x bodnantense 'Pink Dawn'?

Posted by fanofgarden WA zone7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 1:55

Hi,

I wonder which one is more fragrant? Witch hazel or the Pink Dawn Viburnum?
There is one very sunny spot in my back yard that need a small shrub or tree to add winter interest. The place is close to patio and pathway and has evergreen background when I look out of the window. (It is a very visible and important spot in my yard, so I don't want to make any mistake choosing the plant...) Max width of the plant should be 6 feet ideally. Otherwise I need to prune it to control the size. Height of the plant is less of a concern.
I would like a fragrant flowering plant there. Do you have any suggestion which is better?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Witch hazel vs Viburnum x bodnantense 'Pink Dawn'?

In my experience the viburnum is more fragrant. Also it is fairly upright in growth so would fit in your space. But the flowers do get spoiled by frost. If you have space I'd get both. Another fantastic winter scent is Chimonanthus fragrans but it might outgrow your space. Don't know if it would do in your climate.

o

Hi. I am in humid Northern Virginia, and also thinking about witch hazels and new dawn viburnum. I have a spot along a sloped fence line, between a holly and a hemlock. There's some shade and not a lot of root space. I need something that will leaf out early for privacy, although it doesn't have to be dense. What would you pick?

o

For me, in the southeast, the Viburnum is difficult to establish. It is sensitive to drought and the stems die back as a result. Those bright pink flowers in late winter make it worth the effort. Witch hazels can be scentless- pick the right one for fragrance. 'Wisley Supreme' and 'Arnold Promise'- spicy yellow things, they are my favorites.

o

'Vesna' is a fantastic witch hazel with strong scent and a relatively upright form. I grow both 'Vesna' and 'Pallida' in my garden, and 'Vesna' is definitely more fragrant. It's a strong bright gold, which I wouldn't like so much in summer, but it's exactly what I want in winter.

o

In my garden I have both and Pink Dawn is hands down more fragrant. Maybe I notice it more because it is close to a path I walk every day and the witch hazel is further down in the woods garden.

Sandy

o

Does pink dawn bloom even when there's frosts and freezes?

Amy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here