Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
austin1227

Need an all year vine

austin1227
19 years ago

I am trying to block a view out my window, and was considering a trellis, with vine.... I live in Georgia, and need a vine that will grow quickly and will stay alive and bloom all year.

Any ideas?

Comments (7)

• SissyZeke
    19 years ago

Here is a thread with some pics of a very nice vine I have in Zone 7 Memphis. It is semi-evergreen, but more importantly, it will take the Southern heat and humidity facing the south on a brick wall!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Vines

• Eduarda
    19 years ago

To my knowledge, there isn´t an evergreen vine that blooms all year. If I´m wrong, please let me know, I would love one too!

What I have found that works well for me in similar situations are hardenbergia violacea and jasmine (in my case I use the polyantum). Both are evergreen, tough as nails and have lovely blooms. In my zone 10 garden, the hardenbergia blooms in January, in the dead of Winter, when nothing else is in bloom and is breathtaking. It is followed by the jasmine, which blooms in February here.

If you want blooms year round, why not use these two plus something that will bloom in Summer, like a bougainvillia or confederate jasmine? Planted side by side with enough room in between, you can have an impressive green wall that stays in bloom for most of the year.

Eduarda

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardenbergia violacea

• artemiss
    19 years ago

Carolina Jessamine will come close to what you have in mind.

• rosadee
    19 years ago

I agree that carolina jasmine or star jamine may be a good choice. Forget trumpet vine unless you want to have the vine for the rest of your life and fight keeping it from climbing in your chimney! It is very invasive in GA.

• debbb
    19 years ago

Try clematis armandi, evergreen, but blooms only in spring--fragrant white blooms

• luseal
    19 years ago

I planted 2 weeping atlas cedars on either side of a wide metal arbor. I added 4 feet of metal on each side after two years and now after 6 years i added 6 feet more on each side and i have a loooong arbor of weeping atlas cedar that will blow your mind. It weeps all through the walkway and in the winter it looks great. On each side I planted a oakleaf hydranga (snow queen) to give it more of a heaviness. When I get pictures I will send it in.

• DOldNDN
    19 years ago

May I suggest? Golden Ivey (Easy to control)(easy to train on trellis, evergreen, winter hardy. You will find Confederate Jasmine, (Ver.Leaves) Nice and it also comes in a solid green. Plus the Carolina does do well in our zone. Watch invasive's as advised about Trumpit,Wist.,English, Vir. Creeper. You will cover your house, instead of a window. I've never had an unproteced Star Jasmine make it in our zone but maybe others have. Good luck on your choice.

Sponsored