Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting Pellets??

Posted by rdturner 6/7TN (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 30, 02 at 10:04

I bought several of these before finding this winter forum.

They are the ones that expand when adding water and you can plant a seed in them. I even bought the minature greenhouse to help the seed germinate.

Can I use these in a winter garden?

Thanks,
rd

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting Pellets??

Dear RD. This spring I bought those pellets w/greenhouse covering, and think they work great. Better than the flats/plastic cover. Next spring when starting seed, I'll go w/those again.
What type of winter garden are you attempting? Are you asking if these will work like a cold frame? Toni

o

Yes, Toni, I would like to plant the seed in the pellet like Trudi mentions in her FAQ. This would be more time consuming (1 seed per pellet) but at least I would be using them. RD

o

I've used these for daylily seeds and they work great, but I've found they stay far too wet for cuttings and cuttings will rot from the bottom. So for seeds yes, cuttings no, my opinion.

o

those little pellets are awful! i planted some peppers (strong roots) in those and put them in the ground, they grew all summer and when i pulled the plants a few weeks ago the roots were mostle still insidt the pellet!!! only 2 large root had come out! no wonder they kept falling over in the wind, i will never use those again! ~Ryan

o

I use them because I got such an end of season clear out price on them. Your right about the netting not breaking down.

So if your going to use them tear the netting away at least from the bottom so your roots can grow somewhere.

They are so compact that they will stay together with out the net long enough for you to get it in the ground.

I guess if yours didn't have the netting to hold the pellet together you could slice down each side to help losen and break it down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here