Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ec_gw

Plans for Winter

Eduarda
20 years ago

It´s 43 Celsius outside (110F), things are melting in the heat, so what better time to think ahead and plan your Winter garden?

So, what will you be doing for your Winter garden this year?

Eduarda

Comments (16)

• yeona_sky
    20 years ago

I'll be buying another callicarpa bodinieri. The one I bought 4 years ago never bloomed, and now, this year, there weren't any flowers on it. I'll also be leaving the rosehips on the native roses, as they seem to be developing for their first year. I definitely want a witch hazel, finally. It has been too long a wait.

It doesn't matter how much I enjoy other gardening seasons, I'm always thinking about my winter garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: WILD ROSES

• cynthia_gw
    20 years ago

I've put in more grasses in the back yard (where I can see them from the house - that's a change :-), and more evergreen shrubs in the perennial gardens. Also a Harry Lauder which I hope I will long enough to be able to see from the house in winter!

• Eduarda
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Cynthia, what´s an Harry Lauder? Inquiring minds want to know...

Eduarda

• luseal
    20 years ago

Last Spring I culled many of my less desirable shrubs and plants and put in a good size Umbrella pine,Miniature Sitka
    Spruces,3 Miniture Serbian Spruce,2 China Firs on the edge of back beds, 3 min.Arbavita, Miniature Spirilus Cyptomeria and I planted some evergreen "witches brooms" that are soo funny they make me laugh to see them. All of these are conifers and will look great in the winter. I also planted a four foot monkey puzzel tree which made it trough our tough winter this year.

• Eduarda
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Luseal, what are witches brooms? I have seen brooms (cistus) pruned to resemble a true broom, is that what you are referring to?

I´m planning to redo a part of my lavender edge and get rid of the raspberries that I foolisly planted nearby. These brooms might do the trick for me as replacement plants, as I would like a slim vertical accent.

I have seen huge monkey puzzle trees in Scotland and they are beautiful, but unfortunately I do not have the size of garden to accomodate one. Good for you that you planted one!

Eduarda

• cynthia_gw
    20 years ago

Eduarda, It's Corylus avellana 'Contorta' (Harry Lauder's Walking Stick.) This has contorted branches and leaves. The leaves are deciduous, and the form of the plant should be lovely in the snow. Or just in winter with NO snow. I won't be able to see it from the house for many years to come, but it will be worth walking out back to look at when it's cold here :-)

• Eduarda
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia, I know the plant, but I had never seen it referred to as Harry Lauder´s Walking Stick, hence my confusion. It is a dramatic plant, I agree.

Eduarda

• karen_ct
    20 years ago

Eduarda - thanks for starting this interesting discussion.

When I moved into my house last summer, it already had several mature shrubs & trees. Unfortunately, all of the evergreens were in the front yard, and the backyard looked pretty bare all winter long.

This summer, I've been working on converting my backyard into a 4-seasons garden. I've added:
    * China Girl (& Boy) Holly shrubs along the back of the property for their evergreen leaves and red berries
    * Dogwood shrubs (Cornus Elegantissima, Ivory Halo & Red Osier) for their red branches
    * Heather (Cuprea & Erica), including Erica x darleyensis - Snow Heath - for its winter flowers
    * Viburnum Pragense, Arborvitae Golden Globe & Juniper (Blue Star & Youngstown Andorra) for their evergreen leaves
    * Pyracantha Mohave for its evergreen leaves & orange berries -- not sure it will be hardy in my zone so it will be an experiment. :-)
    * Munstead Lavender
    * Sedum (Autumn Joy & Ruby Glow) - I'll wait to prune the flowers until spring.

It's not even fall yet, but I'm already looking forward to seeing my garden this winter.

• floweryearth
    20 years ago

I am turning a corner of my yard into a cottage garden by putting a white picket fence around it to keep the dogs out and filling it with old-fashioned flowers. My hollyhocks, wallflowers, sweet william, and campanula have begun germinating. I have alot more to go. Tomorrow I will begin double digging the beds. I am so happy!!!

• elaine_maine
    20 years ago

Be sure to give it plenty of room! I thought it wouldn't get big in my lifetime, but 4 years later, I have a real pruning job. I put it in front of my garage, and its hogging the whole place now. It has doubled in size each year LOL!

• MNature
    20 years ago

Eduarda,
    Living in Zone 10, you may be interested in adding Camellias to your garden like we have here in the south. Sasanquas in the fall...Japonicas in the winter.

• Eduarda
    Original Author
    20 years ago

MNature

I love and have camellias in my garden - japonicas, as these are the only ones I see offered down here. Never saw sasanquas. Would love a Fall blooming camelia! As it is, I have to make do with the Winter flowering ones. I have a pink and white one next to a Mahonia media Charity and they make such a lovely pair.

Eduarda

• Eduarda
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Guess what - I was at my favorite garden centre yesterday and the owner said they have ordered sasanqua cammellias from Italy and they will be available as of next week! Now I just wonder what the price will be, ouch!

Eduarda

• Cady
    20 years ago

I'm coddling bamboos so that my back garden looks like a tropical jungle even with a foot of snow around them! Everyone is getting drenched with Wilt Pruf in a couple of weeks.

• Eduarda
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I did get the sasanqua camellia over the weekend - "Plantation Pink". What a beauty! Currently loaded with single pale pink blooms and big yellow stamens. Such a lovely addition to the Fall/Winter garden. I only hope it does well here. Thank you for the suggestion.

Eduarda

• maggie_
    20 years ago

I have a nice speciman in my front that unfortunately is overgrown by suckers. What should I do in the spring to take back this plant?????

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!