Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
in need of guidance for the best and brightest winter and fall pl

Posted by MissKayle10-3-13 9 (misskayle32314@gmail.com) on
Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 14:59

I'm going to be designing my grandmothers backyard for her birthday in September, but because its pretty much almost the end of summer by then I need to find out what plants would be best for a fall and winter design in zone 9 (Sacramento Ca). We tend to have some below freezing temps, so can anyone help me find some winter plants that will either flower or have a vibrant color to them that can withstand the freezes?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: in need of guidance for the best and brightest winter and fal

Bulbs bloom in Fall and at Winter's end, and give quick results for the buck.
Cannot say they would thrive with you, but Camellias do bloom in Fall, and late Winter or Spring.
The same with colored-bark Dogwoods. You need to cut them to the ground periodically, or thin out 1/3 of branches, as young twigs carry the brightest colors.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Sep 25, 14 at 9:19

I'd suggest a visit to the UC Davis Arboretum, similar climate, and they've got display gardens geared to residential landscape design that emphasize climate appropriate, drought tolerant choices with year round interest.

Some of my favorites for winter color include Helleborus argutifolius, Euphorbia characias, Ribes species, Erysimum 'Bowles Mauve', Hardenbergia violaceae, Ornamental Kale, Paperwhite Narcissus, Daphne odora variegata, Camellia sasanqua.

UC Davis Arboretum also has a web site with plant recommendations for residential garden design. Sunset Western Garden Book is another good starting point.

o

Alright great! I'll definitely look into getting my hands on some dogwood I've seen them before online but I've yet to find any at our local nursery. And I will also definitely go and check out the UC Davis arboretum, I love their whole campus anyways so it will make for a great day trip, thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here