Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking dwarf evergreen/winter int. plant for container staple

Posted by enmnm 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 24, 12 at 7:30

I have a 2 gallon container that I want to keep outside year-round and fill with seasonal plantings. I am having trouble finding a "thriller" or tall plant to put in the middle, which will serve as the backbone of the design. I have a few options:

1. A dwarf conifer/boxwood (my local nursery has several to choose from)
2. Sticking pussy willow or red twig dogwood branches in the center in the winter

I'm not really sure how the second one works...does the willow take root? Do the branches disintegrate in the spring? Are they reusable?

Does anyone have any recommendations/advice/thoughts? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking dwarf evergreen/winter int. plant for container stapl

Saw the most common Japanese red-barked maple, Sango Kaku, in containers on the patio at Winterthur Estate and Ilex verticellata in containers at Longwood Gardens. Quite impressive. Longwood had a yellow barked Cornus in a container. I use the Japanese Maple called Fjelheim in the same fashion, moving the pot about during different Winters.
Did buy some bluestar junipers to place in pots to get through the Winter, but neglected them, and they are not pretty, but the ones I have in the ground are wonderful Winter accents. Did set up a Christmas tub outside church with moss and a central dwarf Ilex verticellata 'Red Sprite'. It looked good until replaced in Spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here