Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Winter Gardener

Posted by bowdoin514911 South Carolina (bowdoin514911@aol.com) on
Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 13:49

Hello. I haven't posted in what seems like ages. Love gardening, was thinking about winter gardening in the upstate SC area (western SC, next to GA). Does anyone have suggestions for what does best in this area for the winter? I have been hearing spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, cabbage. Any suggestions would be welcome. This would be for outside gardening, in regular beds, no greenhouse or raised beds. Have gardened before. Thank you in advance!
Emma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Winter Gardener

• Posted by LKZZ 7b (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 14:13

Hi neighbor. I am in the same area as you (Spartanburg) and this is my first year planting fall/winter crops.

I planted lettuce, spinach, beets, radishes, kohlrabi, and carrots a few weeks ago. Lettuce and radishes are doing very well.

Carrots and kohlrabi have sprouted but are slow.

Spinach and beets have not done well and I think it is simply too warm, at least for the spinach. It started to get cool and then shot back up to the 80's which means our soil temps are too warm...I measured the soil temp last week and it was over 70 degrees; needs to be 50-60 degrees so I am going to plant again when we have consistently cooler temperatures.

I am clueless about the beets - I have tried three times; twice in the spring and once in the fall and have not yet been able to grow them.

The lettuce I am growing is PICO Romaine, Buttercrunch, Bibb, and Mixed Greens. Spinach is Bloomsdale which is supposed to be temperature tolerant but perhaps 70 degree soil temp is asking too much.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spinach

o
RE: New Winter Gardener

You might want to investigate the veggie forum too. Best of luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here