Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy Camellia Breeder?

Posted by brunomax z6b/TN (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 18, 03 at 14:28

Does anyone know who bred the hardy camellias "Arctic Ice", "Eskimo", or "Northern Exposure"? They sound like names that Dr. Ackerman might have chosen, however I can't find them on any of the lists of his hybrids. They are also not mentioned in his recent book "Growing Camellias in Cold Climates". Thanks.

Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy Camellia Breeder?

Don't know for sure, Mike, but there were some selections bred & selected at the National Arboretum - you might start looking there to see if there's any info on their website(I presume they have one).

o

Hi, try this link http:/www.camellias.acs.com/index2.html
Not positive, but I think they were developed at the university of North Carolina. American Camellia soc. will tell you, they know most everything. Good luck!

o

http://www.camforest.com/

Try this link. They provide a lot Cam. vars.
Some of them are realy hardy, hardy to 6A, such as
snow flurry and winter's intclude.

o

The most cold hardy seem to bloom in late fall until frost.

o

Cam Forest is best, as ermazi said.

o

Agree - Camellia Forest is a wonderful place to order from. It's owned by Dr. Clifford Parks and his wife. Dr. Parks is a retired botanist. They sell the Ackerman varieties as well as many that Camellia Forest has bred.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest

o

I am in Stamford inland away from the water .. I have have had several of the hardy camellias for several years now. Ackerman hybrids and star series . they are growing fine ..problem is that they are not ready to bloom until a week after our first hard freeze .

.they set many buds but they are frozen off first every year .. I have a japonica. large flowered one that blooms in the spring, so its buds never make it thru the winter .. they need to do a little fine tuning to get them to bloom sucessfully in this area

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here