Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering herbs

Posted by canyoudigit Arkansas (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 19, 12 at 14:52

Hello all,

I have some lavender seedlings that were started in February that are about 3-7 inches tall. I also have some rosemary cuttings that are in the process of growing roots. I'd like to use these to start an edible border around my garden bed, but since the plants are fairly young, I'm not sure if I should just bring them in for the cold season and then put them out in the spring? Or should I move them to new spots near the garden, where they'll definitely get sunlight, but be cold? Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering herbs

It's the end of December, no one has answered. But I will. Cover your outdoor herbs with leaves, mulch, even black plastic or newspapers. Keeping them insulated and dark will force them into a suspended state, they just may have enough stored energy to make it to spring. Good luck. I've tried herbs indoors but it never works. My house is too hot and arid.

o
RE: overwintering herbs

Sorry, but I would definitely not do as jannie says. Covering Mediterranean herbs like lavender and rosemary would pretty surely kill them. They need light, air and a moderate amount of moisture. They are evergreens and covering them would kill them by excluding light. Mulching would also provide excellent shelter for pests and moulds. I do not know what the winter temps are in Arkansas but unless it goes below freezing for long periods they should be OK outdoors. They would hate being in a heated house. You might like to post this on the Herbs Forum for further help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here