Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rottnk9

Witch Hazel

RottnK9
20 years ago

I have decided that I am going to pull up my Corkscrew Willow and replace it with a Hamamelis intermedia 'Diane' (or 'Jelene'). However, I would like to encourage a small tree-like form instead of the multi-branched shrubby appearance that I commonly see. Is this possible? Can I prune lesser branches and keep the leader and expect the leader to branch out into tree form? How slow does the Hamamelis grow?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Caroline

Comments (4)

• Eduarda
    20 years ago

Sorry I don´t have an answer for you, but I do have a question: why are you pulling out your corkscrew willow? Is it the same as a corkscrew hazel? It´s supposed to be a good plant for Winter interest. What are the flaws that make you want to get rid of it?

Eduarda

• RottnK9
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Hi Edwarda,
    The corkscrew willow is not the corkscrew hazel (Corylus avellana 'contorta'). I actually wanted the corkscrew hazel originally but the only ones that were in stock at the time were huge and much too expensive for my budget. I purchased the willow instead because I was told by the sales rep that it would grow into a small tree (this was at least 5 years ago). Problem is that while this willow has corkscrew-like branches, it isn't shaping into the upright, acute angle shape that defines the Salix matsudana 'Tortuosa'. The shape of this tree is much more domed.... which makes me believe that it is not the variety sold on the tag. (I could be wrong. The tree is not very big despite its age. I had it in a pot for the past three years which certainly curbed it's growth but it is growing strong now that it is in the ground.) In any case, I am worried that this tree will eventually get too large if it is not the selection advertised. I really do not want a 40ft. tree in my small backyard! Hence, my desire for a Hamamelis... a slow growing tree with easy, fool-proof identification. :-)

• Eduarda
    20 years ago

Now I understand your dilemma! Sorry I can´t be of help, witch hazel isn´t even available in commerce in Portugal, that I know of. I would love one too. Some time ago the Fine Gardening web site had an interesting article on witch hazels. Maybe in can browse a little there over past issues and see if you can come up with an answer.

Eduarda

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine Gardening Web Site

• Ron_B
    20 years ago

These don't make a leader, not do they cotter to much pruning. Perhaps a Chimonanthus praecox would be better for you, it's a little more narrow - although it does prefer a sunny wall here. Otherwise, you could try evergreen Sycopsis sinensis, it's a witch hazel relation with somewhat similar flowers, fairly colorful but partly obsured by the leaves. It does have a comparatively tall, narrow habit.

If it doesn't have to be yellow-and-red, you could use blush pink, fragrant, long-blooming Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'.

And if you're near Victoria the Horticulture Centre of the Pacific has a winter garden you could visit for ideas. In Vancouver, both UBC Botanical and Van Dusen Botanical Display Garden have plenty of plants on view that provide winter interest.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?