Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Garndening

Posted by Rozzy BritishColumbia (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 03 at 20:51

What are the best plants that I could grow in a zone 8 area? I don't have a lawn, as I live in a condo. I have large pots on my balcony that I put summer plants into. Zone 8 is Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, in case you are not sure. Thanks.

-RL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Garndening

Hmmm... not familiar with your area, but here are some flowers we can do here in pots for winter. I get few days below 30F or so here, and almost never have minimum temps below 20F.

Mums
Asters
Pansies
Violas
Flowering kale or cabbage
Dianthus
camelias
rosemary
Snapdragons [will take mild freezes only]

Part of it will have to do with where you set some of these plants. On the north side out in the wind wouldn't be advisable, for example.

o

In pots you just have to try Cyclamen and some of the autumn/winter-flowering Crocus.

Cyclamen produce either flowers or leaves, or both, during the winter. C. coum flowers throughout the winter, while C. hederifolium flowers in autumn and then produces attractive patterned leaves that last until it gets hot. Avoid the big flroists cyclamen that flood the shops about now, they are not frost-hardy.

There are lots of autumn Crocus flowering around October, but you can extend the season right through winter. C. niveus is a good one for flowering in November. Following that you can try C. laevigatus, where the most common forms flower in December and January, then you can pick forms that flower in very early spring if you want.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 27, 03 at 2:45

Local nurseries will have demonstration planters showing combinations of suitable plants, as they are always trying to get people to shop at other times besides spring. Southlands, I think it's called, near Marine Drive could be one of the more interesting places in town. (They have a web site). You might also be able to get some something you might like to try by visiting UBC Botanical Garden off Marine Drive or VanDusen Botanical Display Garden on Oak Street.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here