Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
outdoor container plants for zone 9 winter?

Posted by marleystar Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 07 at 6:43

Hi, everyone...

I am moving into a house in Zone 9 (Oregon) and want to add large container plants to the gardens, because I'll need to take them with me when my lease is up. I'll really want to do bamboo, and Asian/South Pacific style plants that don't need to come inside in the winter.

Are there any good plants that will fit in with my garden design that can stay in containers outside all winter, or should I just aquiece to the fact that I'll have to dig them up when I go?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Marley :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: outdoor container plants for zone 9 winter?

I am in zone 7, so I cannot really identify, but I can think of some beautiful plants, many of which will, eventually, get too large. Would hardy oranges or pomegranates survive? Osmanthus fragrans may bloom where you live in every month with an r in it. Camellias? I have a dwarf Corylopsis offered by Camellia Forest called 'March Jewel'. At Winterthur they had Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' in large pots on the patio. Is it too warm for Hamamelis?
Go on the website for woodlandersnursery.com (I think) as they are in a similar zone and list numerous wonderful plants. The same plants are often listed by Forest Farm on the West coast.

o

In zone 9, pretty much any plant that is perennial (lives longer than a single season) can be grown in a container throughout the winter without worry, as it is considered a nearly frost-free zone. I have dozens of permanent container plantings, including trees, shrubs, dwarf conifers, perennials and vines, that have overwintered for years with no particular attention or protection. Bamboo is an excellent container plant - perhaps better in a container than in the ground :-))

Just an aside, but there are very few locations in Oregon that are considered a zone 9 - the south coast area around Brookings is the only one that comes to mind. Are you sure about your zone listing, as that may influence exactly what you can grow.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 10, 07 at 21:27

The southern Oregon coastal Banana belt is Gold Beach to Brookings (see map in Sunset WESTERN GARDEN BOOK). There used to be a Phoenix palm near the highway as you entered Gold Beach from the north, announcing that a mild climate area was being entered - maybe the palm is still there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here