Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bigbobdallas

I am In Dallas Area-Help

Bigbobdallas
21 years ago

I am new to gardening. so I need alot of help, PLEASE. I am working on getting my beds prepaired. What do I need to plant for the winter months. And also what do I need to plant now for the next season

Comments (10)

• wild_garden
    21 years ago

bigbobdallas. i don't know much about dallas climate, but here in 6b virginia it is a good time to be planting bulbs for spring bloom. it is also a good time to be planting trees and roses and things that you want to establish over winter so they have good roots to grow on in the spring.

• botnnie
    21 years ago

Pansies are our winter flowers here, they'll bloom until summer. You can also plant snapdragons which bloom in the fall and then in the spring before they die in the summer heat. A lot of people also plant ornamental cabbage. That's what I can think of off the top of my head. For flowers next summer you can direct sow perennial seeds up until about 2 months before the first frost, which is usally later in November. It might be too late, but if you are eager, go ahead and try. Also check out the winter sowing forum for ideas. Word to the wise - plants that say "full sun" don't usually survive in full sun here during the summer. Good luck!

• spanishlace
    21 years ago

Hi Bob, Try the winter sowing forum. I live about 60 miles north of you, and even with the warm weather, I am going to give it a try. Cannas are great in this area, as are Nandina, which give lots of winter berries and pretty color. The Canna are tropical and wonderful in the summer.
    Check out Horn Canna Farm in NE Okla. for terrific Canna prices. Be sure to search for HORN not HORNS on the internet when asking for Canna. Canna give quick results and you do not have to dig them in the winter in this area. Lots of luck. Spanishlace

• Katt_TX
    20 years ago

Bob:

As Spanishlace recommended, nandinas are an excellent choice for shrubery, especially if you don't like the 'traditional' hard edged shrub look. They pretty much add interest year round. On many of the cultivars, the leaves turn various shades of dappled red and orange in fall/winter... and there are the winter berries. They will also flower in the spring. The taller 'bamboo' nandinas are particularly nice.

For cool weather color, you could do pansies, ornamental cabbage, mums, snapdragons. Someone had even mentioned to me on the Texas forum that petunias and marigolds would bloom thru fall [didn't know that].

Or... you could use that time to prepare your beds and get them ready for spring.

In terms of planting directly into the garden this time of year, it is just too hot to get most plants established and you'll probably have a low success rate in proportion to your effort. Don't waste your money at the box stores. Just my $0.02.

Of course, you could start some of the above suggestions from seed now. Marigolds in particular are easy, and you could probably get away with direct sowing those if you wanted. Or cosmos... mine bloomed until first freeze last year. They will both take the heat and give you color in a few weeks.

Also, late Sept - Oct is generally a pretty good time to plant perennials as it's cooled off enough not to stress the plant, but it has enough time to get established before the first freeze. I'm talking decent sized perennials, not ones from a cell pack.

You can also winter sow as recommended. [see link]

You may also find the book "Month by Month Gardening in Texas" by Groom & Gill helpful. The way the book is laid out is very easy to follow and a great book for the new gardener. It begins w/an overview that goes into gen'l techniques. Then there are chapters on the following:

annuals, bulbs/corms/rhizomes/tubers, houseplants, lawns, perennials, roses, shrubs, trees, vegetables/herbs,
    vines/ground cover/ornamentals

Each one of these chapters gives you an intro and planting chart followed by a month by month list of what to do.

--Katt

Here is a link that might be useful: winter sowing faq

• cut1cow
    20 years ago

I live in texas also and am restoring an old house and the flower beds. Try cannas, daylily, tulips, most perennial bulbs..I have alot of roses but they take some work...most important in our area is the quality of your soil and amount of water in the summer. Good luck!!!

• Aubergine Texiana
    20 years ago

Hey hey, Something I actually know something about! As I spent most of my life in DFW.

First, I must congradulate you on being willing to take on that black gumbo hell that stands in for soil up there. gah.

Now then...
    Tulips are only so-so in the dallas area. I usually only have had a few continue to rebloom as it's really too hot in the summer for them to thrive.

Daffodils and paper white narcissus on the other hand thrive like mad. The paper whites have a wonderful smell.
    I put bulbs in as late as new year's day in Rowlett one year...They did fine.

Biggest problem with winter gardening in Dallas is wind damage. That cold arctic wind barreling down the plains will just sere away alot of plants so keep that in mind and protect your plants from that harsh northern wind.

Pansies & ornamental kale, boy that brings back memories. Go to the mall and look at what plantings they're putting in in the next month. For best results plant your pansies with a little dab of blood meal (pew!) in each hole before you set your plant.

That's the extent of my 2 cents.
    nuffsed
    Ana

• asinha
    20 years ago

Hey BigBobdallas,
    Check out the Texas Garden Fairies site. There is the North Texas Fall Swap coming up in a couple of weeks where you could meet up with other DFW area gardeners, get lots of info and make new friends too.

Hey - this invite goes out to all those gardeners living in the DFW area or those willing to drive down.

There is also a link to the North Texas Fall Swap on the TX Gardening exchange page.

Hope to see you there
    Anu

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Garden Fairies

• heidibird
    20 years ago

I have a small chaste tree and 2 abelia shrubs which give lots of pretty summer color.
    ~Heidi

• Aubergine Texiana
    18 years ago

Wow,guess what. I moved back and am dealing with Black Gumbo Hell once more in a BIG way. we just cut close to 400 sq ft of sod out of our back yard to put in a garden. shesh.

• kararoberson_ymail_com
    15 years ago

I went to Calloway's Nursery and I wanted you to know they are offering two free soil tests in January and February. Getting your soil tested will help you to know what to add to your soil to improve it. You will have much more success with proper amendments.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner