Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watering in Winter

Posted by trace z6 NM (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 16, 03 at 7:40

After I have fertilized and mulched my perennial beds do I continue to water them throughout the winter? We have a fairly mild climate and very rarely have moisture of any type during the winter months. The main thing that concerns me are my daylilies...I think they need to be divided this year, but I've been told to wait until they turn brown to do that. With the climate here, if I keep watering them it seems like they will never get to that point. Sigh...I'm so confused!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watering in Winter

What I do and it seems to be working...for the last 5 years is continue to water as normal until we get a good hard freeze...then I cut back on watering to about twice a month depending on the daytime temps and of course never water when we are expecting a freeze. If we get a few good days of high temps, then I will water a little more accordingly. Hope this helps.

o
RE: Watering in Winter

What about watering in zone 6/7? In the winter, the temps are often below freezing. This past weekend we had our first big snowstorm. This is my first winter ever with outdoor container plants, so I'm really nervous.

I figured I could/should water the plants whenever it was a bit warmer out, or if I got suddenly motivated to go out in the cold and water them. But I just read somewhere that waterining the in winter can actually be BAD for the plants? Are you always supposed to cut down on waterining in the winter, even if by some odd stretch the temps remain above freezing?

Tx.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here