Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting over after 35 years

Posted by SIMMONSBEARHUGS NORTH MS (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 7, 03 at 10:47

I am divorced after 35 years. I've moved from a log house into a new double wide. Had to start from the ground up. It rained so much last winter, I thought I'd never see anything but MUD again. My chow, Bear, brought in muddy feet everytime I let him out. I've been able to get some grass growing and a few little trees out from Arbor Day Foundation. I would like to know what I should do this winter to help get ready for next spring. Guess it's too late to put out shurbs now. I need all the help I can get on what kind of trees to plant for shade and some low growing shurbs. Thanks for any help from anyone.
Billie "Pigue" Simmons
Byhalia, MS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting over after 35 years

Billie

I know exactly what you mean about the mud! I moved into my present house in the middle of the wettest Winter on record in Portugal. The garden was a blank canvas and there was nothing but mud inside the house, due to carrying all the furniture in the middle of this mess. You have all my sympathy!

As far as your Winter plans, I would advise you to draw a general plan of what you want your garden to look like, then select an area and start there. Once that area is pretty much covered, go into the next. This way you wont divert your effort and money in the entire place, but concentrate to get some results and become motivated.

Do you have any idea of how you want your garden to look like? Formal - things like pruned boxwoods and topiary? Informal - cottage style garden? Using native plants? Planting for wildlife? Once you decide on this it will be easier to draw a rough plan and select the plantings. Winter is a wonderful time to do this. And if you have an idea of what you want to plant, you can try Winter Sowing to get you going until Spring. Theres a forum here in Gardenweb just devoted to it. Im trying it myself this year for the first time.

Just an idea - maybe start with your front garden, or an area which you can look up from a window. For example, my front garden is planted for Fall and Winter interest, with a Christmas tree and a sweet gum tree, a firethorn hedge, hollies, nandinas, mums, dwarf conifers and a couple of roses. Even in a dreary Winter day it looks good and definitely cheers up my spirits.

Let us know more of your likes / dislikes, so that we can give better feedback.

Eduarda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here