Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenwise_gw

Brought Potted Plants In For Winter...Good Idea Or No?

JenWise
10 years ago

Hello all, I'm a new gardener, limited to pots since I have an NYC apartment balcony, and I've already brought most of my potted plants in for the cold season. This makes little room for mammals in a one-bedroom, but I feel it's worthwhile, as long as I'm doing the right thing. My boxes are covered with plastic bags and are lining my outside, brick walls, per the recommendation of a local greenhouse owner, but my prized climbing jasmine, peony babies (there's gotta be a better word for them in their first-year, yet-to-blossom phase, but I'm lacking the proper vocab), and Ludwig Spaeth lilac bush are in my living room...and the lilac has begun sprouting new leaves. This is exciting, since I had given it up for dead when nearly all the leaves began browning and shriveling in early summer, due to a leaf-cutter attack and a host of other issues...but I have a feeling I'm only excited because I don't know what I'm doing, and this could be bad. Am I confusing my plants by bringing them in? And how should I handle water and light? I've been keeping them barely moist, assuming the roots need a LITTLE moisture but not enough to get moldy, and they have a smidge of morning light through my east-facing balcony window, but not much. Also, I read in another forum that lilacs should be pruned, and that root pruning could be a good idea as well. I have no idea how one goes about that...my lilac is in a pretty large, plastic container (I can't tell how many gallons, sorry!) and has been since I bought it in Union Square. How do you know when it's time to give the roots more room, or should I be trimming them? Can anyone recommend a good resource to guide me through that? Thanks in advance, and happy winter gardening!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County