Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vja4him

Unknown Flowers ....

vja4him
11 years ago

Doe anyone know what kind of flower this is?

My neighbor's grandchild and little boy pulled it up because there was a bunch of flies on it!

Not sure if it will survive. I just put it in the ground last night. The plants were lying along side the road for a few days. I took lots of clippings and used RooTing to see if they will grow roots .....

Comments (10)

• bogturtle
    11 years ago

Just the timing makes me think it is just a chrysanthemum, and I know there is a strain of Korean Chrysanthemums called Eriso hybrids that are just like the ones shown. They come in magnificent gem-like shades, and are in every way just like the common double Chrysanthemums in culture. The foliage may have the unmistakable odor. What the foliage is like, un-wilted, is unclear in the photo.

• vja4him
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm hoping that at least some of the cuttings will survive .... I don't know if this type of plant will over-winter though. Our winters are quite mild. Everyday the temperature always rises above freezing.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

They look like asters to me - see link below. These are 'florist' asters - that florists use in floral arranging - I've never seen them growing anywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Asters

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

They are mums - the leaf shape is quite distinctive and they are as common as mud in garden centers and grocery stores right now. Kind of the classic Thanksgiving
    gift plant or cut flower!

They will overwinter easily for you. Watering well after planting should perk the plant back up but if too slow to respond, you can just cut it back now to about 2-3". Keep soil just barely moist through winter and water as needed during the growing season. It should bloom again next fall.

If the plant starts to become too tall or rangy, you can pinch it back (or even cut it back) by about a third when it gets about 10-12" tall and again as needed but stopping by the end of July. That allows it sufficient time to develop flower buds, which will BTW be more profuse as a result of the pinching.

• vja4him
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the answers! My neighbor had these plants (there were three of them) growing in her flowerbed for several months. They were looking so beautiful, until her grandson and son pulled them up. The kids didn't like the flies hovering all over the flowers.

I sure hope the plants or at least some of the cuttings will grow and produce flowers in my garden, I'm guessing probably sometime in spring .....

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

As gardengal48 says they are easy to replace. But they don't look too far gone to split up and replant. Cut back as gal suggests if the tops don't revive. The stems look a bit too dehydrated to use for cuttings.

formandfoliage - the link you gave also looks like Chrysanthemums to me.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Yeah, could well be...the color is so reminiscent of the 'florist' asters (don't know what else to call them) that my mom got when she had her florist shop. The problem with common names...obviously both compositae and florists don't get any more specific than that!

I should stay away from flowers - out of my depth!

• stolenidentity
    11 years ago

I don't think those are mum or aster. I think they are ice plant.

• vja4him
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Not Ice Plant! I have lots of Ice Plant growing all over my garden. My Ice Plant has not yet bloomed. It will hopefully start blooming soon, maybe in December or January.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

"The kids didn't like the flies hovering all over the flowers."

I know this happened a while back, but this sounds like a good opportunity for a rudimentary lesson in pollination. Do you have anoles or other little lizards there, toads? They love to eat flies. Another interesting lesson.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource