Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steph_va

Iris bloom in November?

steph_va
20 years ago

Has anyone ever had one of their bearded irises suddenly bloom in November? I'm used to seeing some bulb shoots come up in fall, but I've never had an iris bloom! I cut the stalk as soon as I realized what it was doing, but now I'm worried that I shouldn't have done that. I'm worried about it not having enough food stored to survive the winter after blooming so late. (We have had some warm days.)

Should I have just left it alone, or is it doomed anyway?

Thanks

Comments (10)

• Eduarda
    20 years ago

Funny you mention that, one of my bearded irises did just the same - it bloomed in late October, for the first time ever! It had 3 (!) stalks with flowers. I was speechless when I saw it too. All the other bearded irises bloomed in their normal period, but this one decided to wait until now to bloom.

All of my irises are from the same breeder (Cayeux, in France) and were purchased simultaneously last year. Some bloomed, some didn´t, but only this one had this behaviour.

I wonder if our abnormally hot Summer had anything to do with it. I just let it bloom normally and didn´t do anything.

Eduarda

• Woody_Canada
    20 years ago

There are some irises that do bloom twice in a season. Reblooming traits sometimes pop up unexpectedly and some varieties have been bred to rebloom -'Immortality' is a nice white one. You either have planted some reblooming varieties or have come across one of the occasional rebloomers that sometimes appear. Enjoy them and don't worry about them!

• Ron_B
    20 years ago

There's also Algerian Iris (Iris unguicularis), which normally blooms in winter, for those who are intrigued by this idea.

• notenoughroses
    20 years ago

There are a number of reblooming irises, though this is not a dependable trait. I have had many bloom through our first few freezes. ~ Suzie

Here is a link that might be useful: A few rebloomers

• webkat5
    19 years ago

My 'Full Tide' and 'Dover Beach' are currently blooming!!
    Crazy isn't it!!

{{gwi:1351323}}
    {{gwi:1351324}}

• hag49
    19 years ago

I'm in Texas and I had quite a few bloom this last month. There's one out there now w/a bloom about to open. I know this is weird. I've never had them do this. I know there are rebloomers, but I've never had any. My roses are just going for another flush. My peonies I planted in Sept. came up and were about 14" tall. We had a moderate freeze so they do seem to be pouting. I probably won't have any blooms this next spring. I'm not sure what's happening, but it doesn't seem to matter which zone, we're all having it.
    Hilary

• Andrea Cavalier
    8 years ago

I am also confused by my irises behavior. I picked 10 iris plants from a nearby field a year and a half ago and planted them in front of my porch. I didn't expect them to bloom this past spring, I was waiting until this coming May - June to see any flowers. But strangely enough three of my irises have bloomed this month! (December 2015) Each stalk has 3-4 blooms! What is happening and why?!? I live in northeast Texas and it has been unseasonably warm and sunny this winter. Is this normal behavior for my irises? - Andrea :)

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Andrea - without knowing the species of Iris you have it isn't possible to tell if their behaviour is normal. I suggest you post a picture on The Name That Plant Forum here on GW to get a correct id for your plants. Give the location and date of the photo. Some wild Iris species are naturally Winter bloomers.

• cris23464
    4 years ago

This is the second year two of my plain old-fashioned iris have bloomed. They never had before. I'm in Virginia Beach, VA, where the weather has been unseasonably warm. Also, my Clematis has 2 blooms. I'm assuming it is happening because of the weather.

• HU-83195112
    3 years ago

I live in Colonial Heights, Virginia, and we have one iris blooming. Rest bloomed in season.

Sponsored