Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_d31

The great joy of my winter garden:

John_D
21 years ago

Sasanqua camellia flowers rising above frosted leaves. The grey-white hoar frost beautifully contrasts with the blossoms (even with the white ones).

Comments (9)

• teri2
    21 years ago

Thank you, John. A beautiful mental image.

• yeona_sky
    21 years ago

Sounds wonderful, John. Sasanquas really light up the winter for me. We have heavy morning frost now and the fully budded Camellia japonicas are painted with the sparkly frost too. My Sasanqua Camellia did not set buds at all this year. Too much sun and moving shock I think. I've decided to get a couple more Sasanquas this year. What color is your favorite?

Yeona

• John_D
    Original Author
    21 years ago

My favorite is 'Apple Blossom' -- white, flushed with pink along the edges. But other favorites include pinks -- much to my surprise, since pink is not one of my favorite garden colors, and reds. Right now, nine are in bloom, as well as my pink-flowered tea. For some reason, the white-flowered tea did not bloom this year, even though it is in a sunnier spot. The japonicas and several hybrids are heavy with buds, but the earliest of those will not open until February (but they'll keep blooming until June).

• FLOWPOW2
    19 years ago

I am looking for winter blooming plants. After reading John D`s soothing discription of his Sasanqua Camelia,I really must have some.I am the manager of an apartment building in B.C.`s lower mainland and it is beating down rain today.The entrance way looks so bleek.I have a 6'x 3'planter,very good soil.But it is empty now.Even on a good day it gets only late or evening sun.It is under cover. Any ideas how to dress it up for the winter would be greatly appreiated. Flow.

• John_D
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Flow:
    In our climate, fortunately, you don't have to let your garden die back to its bones and come up with an aesthetic justification for why this is a good thing. You might try primroses in your planter (which will bloom now), interspersed with bulbs (which will bloom later). For taller color, you can try camellias, "Dawn" viburnum, or winter jasmine. If all fails, there's always heather.

• Susan Garrison
    19 years ago

I though sasanquas bloomed in the fall and japonicas in the winter. That's why I only bought japonicas. Am I missing something?

• John_D
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My sasanquas bloom from fall through January; the japonicas and hybrids bloom from Late January until June. Right now, several sasanquas are still blooming (despite some snow and cold temperature we had) and the japonica buds are fat and are beginning to show some color.

• Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening
    19 years ago

Just took this photo at the start of our blizzard yesterday. Everything is under a blanket of snow.

• John_D
    Original Author
    19 years ago

My purple plums just began to bloom, which is uncommonly early for them.