Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The great joy of my winter garden:

Posted by John_D USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 25, 02 at 13:45

Sasanqua camellia flowers rising above frosted leaves. The grey-white hoar frost beautifully contrasts with the blossoms (even with the white ones).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The great joy of my winter garden:

• Posted by Teri2 6/7 TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 27, 02 at 14:45

Thank you, John. A beautiful mental image.

o

Sounds wonderful, John. Sasanquas really light up the winter for me. We have heavy morning frost now and the fully budded Camellia japonicas are painted with the sparkly frost too. My Sasanqua Camellia did not set buds at all this year. Too much sun and moving shock I think. I've decided to get a couple more Sasanquas this year. What color is your favorite?

Yeona

o

My favorite is 'Apple Blossom' -- white, flushed with pink along the edges. But other favorites include pinks -- much to my surprise, since pink is not one of my favorite garden colors, and reds. Right now, nine are in bloom, as well as my pink-flowered tea. For some reason, the white-flowered tea did not bloom this year, even though it is in a sunnier spot. The japonicas and several hybrids are heavy with buds, but the earliest of those will not open until February (but they'll keep blooming until June).

o

I am looking for winter blooming plants. After reading John D`s soothing discription of his Sasanqua Camelia,I really must have some.I am the manager of an apartment building in B.C.`s lower mainland and it is beating down rain today.The entrance way looks so bleek.I have a 6'x 3'planter,very good soil.But it is empty now.Even on a good day it gets only late or evening sun.It is under cover. Any ideas how to dress it up for the winter would be greatly appreiated. Flow.

o

Flow:
In our climate, fortunately, you don't have to let your garden die back to its bones and come up with an aesthetic justification for why this is a good thing. You might try primroses in your planter (which will bloom now), interspersed with bulbs (which will bloom later). For taller color, you can try camellias, "Dawn" viburnum, or winter jasmine. If all fails, there's always heather.

o

I though sasanquas bloomed in the fall and japonicas in the winter. That's why I only bought japonicas. Am I missing something?

o

• Posted by John_D USDA 8b WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 15, 05 at 22:26

My sasanquas bloom from fall through January; the japonicas and hybrids bloom from Late January until June. Right now, several sasanquas are still blooming (despite some snow and cold temperature we had) and the japonica buds are fat and are beginning to show some color.

o

• Posted by Lee1 z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 23, 05 at 18:51

Just took this photo at the start of our blizzard yesterday. Everything is under a blanket of snow.

o

My purple plums just began to bloom, which is uncommonly early for them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here