Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freeze temps on cabbage and broccoli?

Posted by zoefarm 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 4, 11 at 11:33

We live in North Texas (Weatherford). What temp will cabbage and broccoli plants stand before you have to cover them? We have some lovely plants that have been in since early October that we hate to lose.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freeze temps on cabbage and broccoli?

I've observed cabbage surviving through an entire winter here in Zone 5. The coldest day last year got to about -19F but everything was buried by snow so it's likely the plants were protected.

In any case, they can survive extreme cold, but may end up being pretty tattered and unappetizing.

o
RE: freeze temps on cabbage and broccoli?

I put broccoli and cauliflower in in October also. It's usually not a problem here in So. Oregon. This is our "rainy" season. We haven't had rain in months! The temp has been in the low-mid 20's at night for that long. Beautiful cold days. I admit they look terrible in the morning but by noonish they perk back up. I'm just not sure how long they can take the temps. They are starting to look pretty frazzled. Every day they don't perk up quite as much as the day before. Normally we would be eating it by now but I guess because of the cold, they aren't growing very fast at all. I'm sure a cover would help I just don't have any spare. Wasn't expecting to have to cover cole crops in December!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here