Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter vacation watering

Posted by timetraveler Colorado (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 2, 12 at 13:27

How do I water my indoor herb garden while I'm away for a week? My plants are growing under lights in 4 inch pots and I also have some seedlings in 2 inch pots. How do I construct a watering system? or is there one I could purchase? The air here is very dry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter vacation watering

Give the seedlings to someone to watch. They are too delicate to last. One time I took my two trays of seedlings with me but that was a car trip. They did fine on the back window ledge. lol.

I leave my plants for 2 weeks sometimes, by watering heavily for 3 days till the soil is totally soaked and then I leave a half inch of water in the saucer. The plants usually make it through. Some are wilted or too wet, but recover. The ones that don't make it, well, I just toss and replace.

Make sure your plants are not rootbound...transplant to bigger pots and use plastic or ceramic, not clay, which dries out too fast.

Enjoy your vacation! You can always buy new plants.

o

Your vacation has probably already come and gone, but next time, turn the heat down. When the furnace runs less, it will dry the air less, and plants use water much less quickly when it's cold.

Another option could be a wick system.

o

Thank you susan and purpleinopp for your suggestions. I leave in a week for my vacation. I had to plan so far ahead because where I live, the choice of gardening supplies and plants in winter is very small. I bought an "egg-crate" from the hardware store and capillary matting online. I'm testing a system where I fill a tray with water, layer several egg-crate pieces and lay the capillary mat across the top, with its sides hanging into the water. So far it seems to be working, although the top of the soil in my 4 inch pots dries out after a few days. I wish I could turn the heat down more, but my pipes would freeze.

This post was edited by timetraveler on Sat, Jan 12, 13 at 12:17

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here