Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ljrmiller

Slowly, slowly....

ljrmiller
18 years ago

I've been working a little on adding "winter interest", at least to the back garden, every year. I look for plants with berries, interesting bark/wood, and/or evergreens that might fit into my garden scheme. That part isn't so difficult: my theme is "horticultural chaos". The hard part is finding ROOM to plant more treasures!

As I looked out the back patio doors this morning, I was greeted by a panorama that looked sadly decrepit and battered, complete with melting snow and slush. I looked to see my still-very-small "winter interest" additions, confirmed that they were still healthy and growing, and turned away hoping that perhaps in 5 or 6 years things will look much better. I consoled myself with the thought that the garden is simply spectacular from March through October.

As for the front, there's not much I can do--there are some big junipers and a mugo pine, and I added a few ornamental grasses this year. It's more of a dryland/xeric/prairie look, and it doesn't take too well to the addition of a lot of evergreen material.

Perhaps in a few years, when the Rosa moyesii gets larger and has a bumper crop of hips to last through the winter?

Lisa

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    18 years ago

I don't think they'll last through the winter, but probably long enough to be seen against snow. If you have enough room you can divide your place up into seasonal theme areas, with a packed summer border in one part and a complete winter scene in another, instead of trying to mix them together--not that it isn't possible or desirable to have multiseason interest in the same area. It can just be hard to avoid diluting one display by having another take place in the same spot.

• ljrmiller
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, BBoy--but I don't have enough room. I have a small city lot, and as it is I'm scrounging for space at every opportunity! This year I'm going to start planting in a 12" strip of rock alongside the garage, along the last unplanted bit of chain link fence, and the last 12' of unplanted ground on the other side of the garage (max. 2' depth to the bed) by using really large planters. That leaves the roof...

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    18 years ago

Hi Lisa,
    I feel your pain in regards to the small city lot. When I first bought the house I thought to myself that the 50x150 lot would last a few years... now I'm not so sure. I think if I wasn't so busy with interior renovations, the yard would already be full (2 years)!

But I've still got to finish the inside and I still need to regrade areas and put in retaining walls.... a large silver maple must go as well as a Norway spruce.... two other trees need transplanting. I think I'll get onto all that by the end of next year.

This winter I have some small boxwoods that are barely big enough to push up over the snow, plus there's a number of smaller cuttings that outline some areas with a little green. The hellebores have formed an interesting lush clump, small hollies are here and there and a dwarf rhododendron is slowly becoming noticeable. Still I rely heavily on dried grasses and last year's perennial stalks to fill in the rest of the spots.

I could use some more berries, bark and bulk... it looks awfully sparse this time of year. Actually sparse is an understatement.... I'll agree with you, better to turn away and wait another few years.

• ivy3
    18 years ago

For the front you could try female Skimmia japonica and Skimmia japonica "Rubella'in combination (need 'Rubella or other male for polination) . Female Skimmia has nice berris that will last till spring and 'Rubella' has big red buds whole winter. They would be nice contrast for Junipers and mugo pine. I like Rohdea japonica (looks like evergreen Hosta) with evergreens too.
    Plant that has winter interest and is fast grower is Ilex verticillata- berries will last well into winter.
    For small gardens Ilex crenata 'Sky Pencil' planted in group of three look great as well as Nandina domestica.

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

Rosa moyesii, I always wanted to try that one.

• remy_gw
    18 years ago

Lisa,
    Don't think I'm crazy, but everytime I read things from you, I think you're my Nevada garden counterpart. We seem to feel the same way about plants, grow many of the same or very similar plants in lots that are small, and even have the small beds along the chain link fence and trying to fit in more next to the garage!
    I feel the same way about my garden in winter. Especially this one because the usual snow is not here.
    The roses at the back of my vegetable garden rugosa rose Hansa, and rosa glauca are grown up now and do look pretty good compared to other areas.
    Out front I have the very small evergreen thing going on too. I didn't realize when I first started the importance of winter interest. I have a mahonia, osmanthus heterowhatever goshinku, a leucothe,an azalea and a mahoberberis. All are very dinky.
    I keep trying to remind myself that in a few years it won't look that bad.
    Remy

• ljrmiller
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Forget about winter! The Jasminum nudiflorum has started to bloom, there are some snowdrops, species crocus, primulas, pansies and Iris reticulatas blooming in the back. It's already spring in my brain.

I found a beautiful Ilex aquifolium variety I crave: aureus rubricaulis (?) that I saw in a photo in an English garden mag. It's not available in this country yet. I have decided I also need (Yeah, riight...need?????) a Camellia saluensis and some Iris unguicaris and a Rhododendron rupicola 'Chikor' and some Cyclamen coum and a Sciadopitys verticillata (Japanese Umbrella Pine) and a Fargesia rufa 'Green Panda'. When I finally get the Ilex, I plan to put two of them in nice big pots flanking my entryway. The Iris unguicaris will go along the south wall of the house. The Cyclamen can go everywhere, the Fargesia goes in a gap along the south fence, and I'll just have to find the right spots for the Rhododendron and the Sciadopitys.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?