Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucy810

Wood Pile Out Back

Lucy810
22 years ago

When I moved into this home, I guess the previous owner had a tree that she didn't want any longer, AND she didn't want to pay to have it removed. SO..I've got this 10/4 ft pile in my back yard just sitting there. I don't know how long the wood has been there but I know it would cost me a fortune as well to have it removed. My yard is so big I can leave it back there but I would like wild flowers to grow over the wood and cover the old logs.

Any thoughts about silver moss? The bottom line is, I need flowers that I can cut and put in a vase all summer long to grow back there [wildflowers]. Any suggestions on what I should do now??

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I love this website..

Lucy

Comments (23)

• John_D
    22 years ago

Wood pile?

Can't you recycle the wood through the fire place?

• cathrynb
    22 years ago

Are the pieces of wood small and thin enough that you can use them for some kind of border or outline?

Or maybe they can be stacked in some way to make a raised bed.

You could also use them to outline a path.

• mary730
    22 years ago

What about cutting holes into the logs and planting flowers in the holes? Eventually these logs will break down and then you might have an ideal place for gardening or composting.

• diene
    22 years ago

In my part of the world, people would be happy to take the wood away to use for fuel. A note on the bulletin board of the grocery store would get that stuff removed in a week.

• Pat Sonntag
    22 years ago

Wish you were here. I would haul it away!!

• Echolands_netscape_net
    22 years ago

How about annual vines and wild flowers such as morning glory, pumpkin, larkspur, sunflower, cleome, cosmos, okra and such? Especially if the wood is old or elm. Not sure what seeds sprout and mature within season up there. You may need to buy plants or start seeds indoors a month before last frost. Oh Yeah, try poppies too!

• Fantin_Latour
    22 years ago

Many people here in Oregon have woodstoves. Call a local charity or church. Often they will haul wood to a deserving person who will burn it.

• penny_md6
    22 years ago

Would just like to add that a woodpile provides a safe haven for wildlife so you'd be doing them a favor to leave some of the wood for cover. Growing vines over it would make it even better. Also insects will take up residence which provides food for birds.

Just a thought~

• philipw_pobox_com
    22 years ago

It wasn't the bugs in my woodpile in the old house that attracted my attention: it was the rats. (They are part of nature also.) I raised the woodpile off the ground to make it inhospitable to rats, but I never got over the creeepy feeling I had often as I walked by the site.

• TwilightMoth
    22 years ago

Hmmmmm I actually like woodpiles, they are useful in many ways. My son burns them is his wood stove. I use them in the way some one above suggested, outlining flower plots, or marking a newly planted tree or plant. Sometimes I stack the logs upright to make a little fence type border. When the pile gets dusted or covered with snow, it looks absolutely beautiful. If they sit there long enough to start decaying, sometimes I will add a log or too, to my woodland garden plots to provide compost. I've just used up the last of my existing log pile. Time to get my son to make a new wood pile. I have a tree that needs to come down so it will work out. Also will have him cut some tree rounds to use for stepping stones.
    LOL I really do like wood piles.

• plantsron_msn_com
    22 years ago

Since this is the Winter Garden Forum, I will suggest you obscure it with Jasminum nudiflorum and Cotoneaster horizontalis.

• nora_in_vancouver
    22 years ago

Depending on the type of wood, you might be able to raise edible mushrooms. Shitake, I understand, prefer oak logs.

• wandie
    22 years ago

Even though this is a winter gardening forum; it is the spring now.....

Sounds like the perfect place to plant gourds. Gourds don't like to be 'tended' to; put the seeds in the ground and do no disturb until the vines have dried up and the gourds are then ready to harvest. You could do many different shapes and crafters usually know of a good use for them; 'gourd art' has become quite popular. I saw a segment on Lynette Jennings (HGTV) where a lady is making beautiful birds with all shapes and sizes, and earning a lot of $$$ at it.

• Janicw
    22 years ago

Place an add in the paper for free firewood

• shelley_r
    21 years ago

I'm surprised at how many of you have suggested using old wood for fire. I also got an old woodpile with my house, but I was told that it is not a good idea to burn wood more than 18 months old. I've used mine along the fence line to keep the dogs from digging out, on each side of a path, and some I've just left in piles. It will make wonderful compost after it decomposes and until then, it's great for the wildlife. Best of all, the chipmunks in the piles entertain my dogs for hours.

• wavesmom
    21 years ago

Here in Marin County, Calif, we pay $350 for a cord of wood. Wish I was closer, I would come and get it.

• maine_gardener
    21 years ago

If you are allowed to burn in your area. Then get a burn permit and burn it!

• Cheryl_SLP
    21 years ago

I got rid of an old skunky wood pile by having the town come get it. Our town's DOT chips old wood for mulch. All I had to do was put it out in front of the house-- I did it little by little-- and every Friday they came and took it!

• covella
    21 years ago

ANd we're STILL talking about woodpiles! Lucy - I put out the same post a few weeks ago on Perennials and Farmlife. We inherited an enormous 10x15 woodpile that is prob 15 yrs old and too rotten to burn.The most sensible comments were to get it away from the house - mine is only about 20 feet away, because of ants, rats and mice. It might be nice to give wildlife a home, but we live next to 65 acres of conservancy land - they can move somewhere else. I discovered a groundhog was living under there and raiding you know where. I liked the idea of letting some of it rot away to compost, so I used some as edging in more woodsy beds - but that was so few logs you didn't notice anything had been moved. I tossed some over the hill. I scattered some. I wore long sleeves and pants and 2 layers of gloves because I'm allergic to spider bites. And finally my DH hired a guy for about $200 to haul most of it away in his truck, but maybe you might get some good ideas by reading the many answers I got if you're still plagued with it. See alyrics post. I'm a tree huggin', little chemical usin, animal lovin gardener, but that thing was a monstrosity and an eyesore. The fmr owner just got used to it being there and forgot about it. And we plan to plant some nice rhodies and have a garden bench on that spot now!

• Kathy Johnson
    21 years ago

Wow! I can't believe this is still going! Shelley R, my neighbor has 3 or 4 woodpiles scattered around her property,
    some of which are several years old. Old wood will just burn very, very fast! It kinda evens it out if you have to burn new/fresh wood or wet wood.

• tomato_girl
    21 years ago

Whatever you do - DO NOT burn it in your fireplace! I tried that and did not know there were WoodBees living in the wood. When I lit the fire guess what - the big black buzzards came out inside me house and terrorized the family! Ugh.

• dawnstorm
    21 years ago

Shelly--where'd you read that?! It takes a year for the wood to season!

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus