Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hamamelis x intermedia 'Sunburst'

Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 02 at 16:05

R. Gossler likes it (see Gossler Farms web site). Any other opinions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hamamelis x intermedia 'Sunburst'

I have seen several in my visits to nurseries around the country. Seems very floriferous from a small size/early age, but none of those I have seen/smelled had even the slightest fragrance, of course one of the main reasons for growing a witchhazel, at least for me. I have never seen a well established plant though.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 1, 03 at 18:46

Interesting. And this says it has poor foliage as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hamamelis Evaluation

o

I've never noticed anything odd about the foliage before, but the flower color is pretty striking (if you like yellow) - a bright suphurous color. Personally, I prefer the more intensely colored cultivars - Hiltingbury, Fire Charm, Winter Beauty or Ruby Glow. Heck, even Diane and Jelena, if pressed.

pam - gardengal

o

I have a potted Westerstede that I purchased on sale this Fall, and have yet to detect any fragrance in its newly forming buds. Yesterday I saw Jelena in full bloom for the first time at a local nursery that was a good price and size. Any opinions on which of these two I would enjoy the most? Fragrance, Shape? I have a small garden. Thanks Ron , for sharing the informative chart!
Stewart

o

Fri, Jan 17, 03 at 21:41

Saw a good article on Hamamelis in the current Fine Gardening, "5 Best Witchhazels" (or something like that). Author has a huge collection of them, so his perspective is probably pretty useful. His faves were all familiar varieties, as I remember, which reinforced my impression that there are good reasons for some of the commonest plants to be common.

o

Fri, Jan 17, 03 at 23:50

The Brotzman article referred to at the end of this piece is the one I'm talking about. (Too bad it's not on the web site as well).

Here is a link that might be useful: Witch Hazels Perk Up the Winter Season

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here