Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikp

cold-hardy camelia, mature size

mikp
21 years ago

I will be planting a hedge along the southward edge of our quarter-acre yard. What we are looking for: evergreen, flowering, mature plants. I've fallen in love with camelias, especially the ones that are very like roses. I have seen that there are cold-hardy varieties, mostly blooming in late autumn/early winter, that would survive in zone 7. My question: does anyone know a mid-Atlantic source for camelias, especially a source for mature plants? (The plants can grow to 8 or 10 feet, we'd like to put them in at 4 to 6 feet tall.)

Thanks,

Melissa

Comments (6)

• Ron_B
    21 years ago

Camellias are sold in pots, usually the 5 gallon size is about as big as you see (and might be about as much as most people are willing to pay for nowadays). I've found them to be hard to transplant, would be wary of larger plants that were dug out of the ground. Also, the hardier ones you're probably thinking of are quite new to the general market and therefore unlikely to be available in larger sizes anyway.

Although Camellia sasanqua is sun-loving, at least in cool climates, other camellias are mostly shade plants and might not be suitable for a southerly aspect, especially in a hot climate. Their flowers are subject to frost injury when the early morning sunshine hits them and their leaves are apt to fade, even burn in hot afternoon sun during summer.

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    21 years ago

Carroll Gardens in MD carries the camellias Snow Flurry, Wnter's Rose and Winter's Star. Snow Flurry and Winter's Rose are avail. in 5 gallon pots, according to the catelog.

Hope this helps!

Loisi n PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Carroll Gardens

• carolroses
    21 years ago

Roslyn Nurseries sells many of Ackerman's hybrids. I bought a Winter's Star spring before last, and it has done quite well. Fast growing, and blooms really well. Nice to have those flowers in October here.

• John_D
    21 years ago

I have had 'Winter's Star' for several years and it is doing quite well. I recently planted 'Winter's Fire' -- and I'm blown away by those gorgeous -- and huge -- blooms.

• independentgirl687_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Hi, Im trying to figure out if the camelia can survive in florida (Zone 9) They are sold at our local home depot, walmart & so on. but can they do well in our acidic soil & zone? I fell in love with them and hope to be able to put a few in :) Thanks

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

Ashley, I fell in love with camellias last year. It is my understanding that they love acidic soil, and only grow in moderate zones. So, you should have success growing camellias in your area. The main thing that you should decide upon is placement. A lot of camellias in the hotter zones like to have shade in summer and sun in winter, so near some deciduous trees are generally ideal.

Since my first gift of a camellia last year, I now have six varieties and plan to purchase even more. Placement is my only limiting factor. I have more sun than shade, and will eventually run out of places to put them.

Good luck in your camellia growing. There is also a Camellia Forum here on GW with some very knowledgeable and helpful people that can help answer any more questions you may have.

Sponsored