Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cold-hardy camelia, mature size

Posted by mikp USDA z7 DE (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 6, 02 at 19:02

I will be planting a hedge along the southward edge of our quarter-acre yard. What we are looking for: evergreen, flowering, mature plants. I've fallen in love with camelias, especially the ones that are very like roses. I have seen that there are cold-hardy varieties, mostly blooming in late autumn/early winter, that would survive in zone 7. My question: does anyone know a mid-Atlantic source for camelias, especially a source for mature plants? (The plants can grow to 8 or 10 feet, we'd like to put them in at 4 to 6 feet tall.)

Thanks,
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cold-hardy camelia, mature size

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 8, 02 at 16:50

Camellias are sold in pots, usually the 5 gallon size is about as big as you see (and might be about as much as most people are willing to pay for nowadays). I've found them to be hard to transplant, would be wary of larger plants that were dug out of the ground. Also, the hardier ones you're probably thinking of are quite new to the general market and therefore unlikely to be available in larger sizes anyway.

Although Camellia sasanqua is sun-loving, at least in cool climates, other camellias are mostly shade plants and might not be suitable for a southerly aspect, especially in a hot climate. Their flowers are subject to frost injury when the early morning sunshine hits them and their leaves are apt to fade, even burn in hot afternoon sun during summer.

o

• Posted by Lois PA Zone 6 (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 4, 03 at 9:01

Carroll Gardens in MD carries the camellias Snow Flurry, Wnter's Rose and Winter's Star. Snow Flurry and Winter's Rose are avail. in 5 gallon pots, according to the catelog.

Hope this helps!

Loisi n PA

Here is a link that might be useful: Carroll Gardens

o

Roslyn Nurseries sells many of Ackerman's hybrids. I bought a Winter's Star spring before last, and it has done quite well. Fast growing, and blooms really well. Nice to have those flowers in October here.

o

I have had 'Winter's Star' for several years and it is doing quite well. I recently planted 'Winter's Fire' -- and I'm blown away by those gorgeous -- and huge -- blooms.

o
cold-hardy camelia

Hi, Im trying to figure out if the camelia can survive in florida (Zone 9) They are sold at our local home depot, walmart & so on. but can they do well in our acidic soil & zone? I fell in love with them and hope to be able to put a few in :) Thanks

o

Ashley, I fell in love with camellias last year. It is my understanding that they love acidic soil, and only grow in moderate zones. So, you should have success growing camellias in your area. The main thing that you should decide upon is placement. A lot of camellias in the hotter zones like to have shade in summer and sun in winter, so near some deciduous trees are generally ideal.

Since my first gift of a camellia last year, I now have six varieties and plan to purchase even more. Placement is my only limiting factor. I have more sun than shade, and will eventually run out of places to put them.

Good luck in your camellia growing. There is also a Camellia Forum here on GW with some very knowledgeable and helpful people that can help answer any more questions you may have.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here