Return to the Winter Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with first winter greenhouse crop

Posted by organic_greenhand CT (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 1, 10 at 20:31

I have just completed construction on a 14 X 16 greenhouse. I have installed raised beds and hope to raise vegetables during the four seasons. I know I have missed fall planting dates but I wondered if there are crops I can grow this winter without heat. I have read Eliot Coleman's books and want to try using the agirbon covers inside greenhouse. I am looking for advise on crops, varities and tips.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with first winter greenhouse crop

This is my first year with an unheated greenhouse slightly larger than yours. I sowed it down a couple of months ago with clover and beds of grain (rye, barley, triticale) and legumes (vetch and Austrian peas) just to have some green in there this winter. All is doing well so far. The temperatures have dropped into the 20s inside a couple of times but always rise above freezing during the day (usually 10-20) above whatever the outdoor temps are when the sun is shining. I am not aware of anything that will germinate at those temps that I would like to plant now but I do hope to plant potatoes inside the greenhouse around the last of February and then some salad crops in either March or April. Good luck.

o
RE: Help with first winter greenhouse crop

Are you guys planting in the ground inside the greenhouse or in containers? I just got my 10X12 greenhouse built and was thinking about what veggies to start.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Winter Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here