Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_zone6

My Winter Garden

Bill_zone6
22 years ago

All I can say at this time, is that my garden does not have enough winter interest. This season deserves the same attention as others. What, maybe 5 or 6 months of dormancy?

I have added several shrubs and grass plants this fall, and can already see improvement.

Comments (15)

• Dodge
    22 years ago

What specifically do you plant to add interest?

Wes

• Bill_zone6
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Hi Wes, specificaly are Buddleia, Calamagrostis, Ilex, Perovskia, Buxus, Pennisetum

• philipw_pobox_com
    22 years ago

Consider the Ilex crenata (?) "Sky Pencil". They have already added substantially to my winter garden. Their form contrasts so with other less geometric evergreens that I have there.

• davidwlos_webtv_net
    22 years ago

Try of course many of the ornamental grasses which look great dried, add red/yellow/orange twig dogwood shrubs. Perhaps Harry Lauder Walking Stick? Also many conifers have needles which turn colors - coppery pink, orange or purple in the winter. If self-sowing is not a concern, many perennials dried with seedheads look great over the winter...Rudbeckia, Monarda. Echinops. I strip off the leaves and just leave the dried seedheads above clean stalks. Looks great and birds appreciate it. Add some low voltage lighting to highlight anything that is interesting. Always looks awesome especially after some snow.

• Bill_zone6
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Ah, David I think you hit the mark with the suggestion of low voltage lighting. This lighting is a subject of it's own. Ortho's How to Design & Install "Outdoor Lighting" is a good reference. Many ideas and the how-to for easy projects.

• thunder_access995_com
    22 years ago

What about winter blooming heath and heather? Darley Heath is good to zone 4 and is said to bloom fall to spring. Some forms of Erica carnea planted together will give blossom from late fall to early spring.

• Sue_Bee
    22 years ago

I panted my first miscanthis grass (sp??) this year and although it is still small I can already tell how nice it is going to look. We had our first snow last week and the snow looked very graceful on the plums.

If you're interested in winter blooming heath/heathers, try Rock Spray Nursery on Cape Cod (I believe their web site is RockSpray.com). They are having a Christmas sale right now.

• wintergardener_zone5
    17 years ago

I have a 2 acre, mostly sun, winter garden. It is also a wet garden in winter. Winter is my longest season, so I focus on it so that I can walk through it all winter.
    I have lists of winter garden plants for Zone 5 if anyone would like them.
    I am looking for an orange-twig dogwood, and mailorder/website sources for a large selection of colored-twig dogwood shrubs. Any suggestions for me? I already have midwinter fire, midwinter flame, etc.

Thanks.
    wintergardener_zone5

• kansas5
    17 years ago

I would love your list for winter garden plants. I lack winter interest in my garden. Thank you!
    Deb

• teresa_b
    17 years ago

wintergardener_zone5,

I would also like your list. We will be building a new home soon and it occurred to me that I want to start with a winter garden.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa

• sappy
    16 years ago

Living in Buffalo, our winters seem to last forever. I am so happy that I planted a pagoda dogwood where I can see it from the house. It has dark red twigs and has a beautiful horizontal branching habit that catches the snow. Very nice. I have it as an understory shrub because it needs some shade. This spring I will plant some evergreens. Holly and ... I'm still thinking. Winters are fine but I'm so happy to see buds and new growth!

• sheila2u
    16 years ago

Can someone please tell me what temperature I should keep the heater set at in my little plant house in order to keep my potted perennials safe and healthy for the winter ?
    Zone 6..Thank you.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Sheila, tacking a question onto an old post (and one that requests email follow-ups) is not a very good idea, as the questions often get overlooked. And the OP gets unwated/unrelated emails!! Better to start a brand new thread.

To answer your question, perennials for the most part are pretty hardy and will tolerate, and in many cases require, cold winter temperatures for necessary dormancy and vernalization. You just want to set your thermostat so that the pots do not freeze solid, potentially causing root damage. You do not want to provide so much heat that the plants continue to grow through winter - they need to go dormant. Personally, I'd probably not turn on any heat at all unless you are predicted to experience a cold snap with temperatures in the low 20's or teens for an extended period. Then just set it to keep the temperature just at or slightly above freezing.

• judyny6
    16 years ago

Wintergardener- Forest Farm has a good selection of dogwoods, along with about every other plant in the world! I spend most of the winter looking through their catalog- their website is forestfarm.com. I am also interested in you list of winter interest plants, so I hope you check back. Judy

• tkhooper
    15 years ago

i'm probably to late but if you do check back I'd love to have your list if it applies to partial shade plants. My lot is forested. Thankyou in advance.

Sponsored
Trillium Gardens, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars44 Reviews
Richmond Area's Trusted Landscape Contractors | Best of Houzz