Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mich_in_zonal_denial

olives, rosemary + lavender holding up this winter

Well the roses are shot but the bones of the garden are still hanging on fairly well.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/27265700/27266385pHUhNEdGpq

Comments (11)

• John_D
    22 years ago

Mich. . . .:
    Thanks for reminding me--I all but forgot that my lavender and rosemary are still blooming! Pink Meidiland rose is also hanging on, but it's not a pretty sight right now.

• penny_md6
    22 years ago

I've been impressed with my mini roses as they still look beautiful after several frosts. Lavender is flowering and so is rosemary. My rosemary is growing in a pot so I'll bring it into an unheated room soon for the winter. Generally it has flowers thruout the winter.

• Sharyn
    22 years ago

What a beautiful backyard garden!
    By the way, what are you sculpting in the studio???

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    22 years ago

I have several projects under construction in the wild, wacky and weird art studio affectionately called the garage.
    I have a new mailbox in the making ( sort of a michael graves rip off design .. I know I know.. po mo is passe' but I still love it. ) , a front entrance gate and arbor are also just being cut and shaped ( god I love my power angle chop box ) . And as always, a few ceramic molds are being tested, broken and retested.
    All the stone cutting work has been moved outside. Too much dust.
    I am debating about taking a sculpture class at the local community college in order to use their bronze melting and casting facilities. But the class meets during the daytime - twice a week -. I have a design in mind for redoing my rather boring brick fireplace and mantel that incorporates a bronze band in a new mantel, along with a new cast concrete facade over the brick work.

I'm just a little buzy bee .... that makes a hell of alot of noise.

• AGutierrez
    22 years ago

Mich I love your lavender border, but it almost looks like it has been pruned it is so neat and even. What variety is it? And what zone do you live in?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Lavender provence is the variety.
    It is kept pruned to keep it from getting too woody. This also helps in keeping the outer branches from getting too foliage heavy and the center dying out or the branch breaking and losing a whole side of the plant.
    And it does imbue a somewhat formal look to the bones of the garden when not in bloom.
    But when it does bloom it is magical ! The scent can be smelt from out at the front street and the deep purple haze would send even Jimi Hendricks into rapture .
    The wands are cut and dried and the gardener makes a variety of products from it.

- this is not my garden but one that I designed 3 years ago.

• AGutierrez
    22 years ago

Mich,
    It is beautiful. Obviously you are a talented designer. A few more questions:

1. How often does it need to be pruned and what time of year so that it does not interfere with blooming?

2. What is the plant spacing for this application? It looks like about 18".

3. Is some type of border/barrier other than the plants to keep the stones on the path?

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    22 years ago

The lavender is cut right after it finishes blooming. It's first major bloom of the season, - depending on the weather is late July , after which there is another bloom cycle and it is also pruned in October or so.
    In our late winter it is lightly sheared again, mostly to just tip prune it to make sure it looks nice and full for the upcoming summer show.
    Wayward wands are pruned thru out the year as potpourri and arrangement and to keep a neat appearance.

I placed these plants 24 inches on center.

This garden is edged with two different types of borders. Pressure treated 2x4 and Utah ledge stone on edge.

enclosed is a photo of the side of the house and the path that leads to the raised box vegetable garden , dog wash and run area ( note the copper pipe inserts in the lower part of the wood fence to keep the dog from squeezing through ) .
    The bed on the right is the cut flower border and the 'gift plant' bed. The owner is an active participant in many philanthopic organization and is known as an avid gardener, hence she is given many plant gifts that she has planted is this particualr bed.

{{gwi:1351438}}

• nonews
    22 years ago

Frustration!! Why do I only see the top half of the photos? I'm on windows 95 with internet explorer 5.0.
    Nancy

• mich_in_zonal_denial
    Original Author
    22 years ago

One of those photo / web mysteries that some of us have been also stumped by .
    Join our club. Our motto is .. Duh ? !

• Lee@A Guide to Northeastern Gardening
    22 years ago

Nice gardens! Lavender is such a nice touch. Our lavender and rosemary are still holding up here On Long Island in New York. It is the first time ever because the weather has been so mild. Nancy...as far as those photo views go - I'd have to agree with mich... duh! Try it again and it may work. If not, don't fret over it! Happy gardening all!

Sponsored