Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bindweed Solutions

Posted by milwdave Zone5 Milwaukee (milwdave_us@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jan 4, 06 at 0:58

Here we go!!!!

I know y'all got it somewhere..how do you deal with it?

I've heard about a Bindweed Gall Mite that's supposed to be a control. Anyone heard of anyone using it here?

Dave
Milwaukee
Zone 5 but I'm not sure anymore

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bindweed Solutions

I've never heard of any solution besides pulling the stuff out. Wonder how well the Bindweed Gall Mite works???

Copperlilac
Zone 5 but I'm beginning to wonder about it too ;)

o
RE: Bindweed Solutions

Hi milwdave. I know I'm a little late to your inquiry, but I'm here to say that I've survived a terrible bout of bindweed. I'm sure it came along with some perennials I purchased from Bluestone, because the summer we planted those perennials the bindweed suddenly emerged all over the place. My solution was to pull, pull, pull out the vines whenever I was in the garden and then, during its growing periods (spring & summer) I painted on a broadleaf weed killer once a week for about 3 weeks straight. I'd call myself a 98% organic gardener, but this bindweed invasion was so intense and so overwhelming that I had to bring the big chemical guns out.

The bindweed didn't go away immediately, but I have to say that I really weakened it over time. By the second year, I was able to manage it by pulling the vines out once a week. The year after that, there were hardly any established vines to be found. I'll bet that will be the case again this year.

Another thing: Don't let any flowers form, because then it will self-sow all over the garden. Good luck & godspeed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here