Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmerboybill

Attempting soil blocking this year - source for compost?

farmerboybill
16 years ago

Hey all,

I think I'll post this on the composting forum as well but thought it's appropriate here because I need a local source.

I'm trying soil blocking this year and am using Eliot Coleman's recipe. I have the peat moss screened down to 1/4 inch (on a side note - screens from an old hammer mill work AWESOME for screening ingredients). the greensand and bone meal(couldn't find colloidal phosphate). The final ingredient is compost. My pile wasn't ready this fall and it surely isn't now.

I was gonna get a five gallon bucket from the Dane County site in Windsor but, according to the phone call I just made, they are closed until May. I'll be driving past the Windsor site tomorrow morning and hope there's an off chance they're open.

Another option I have is an old calf barn on my F-I-L's place that has 11 year old manure in it. I've spread it on my garden before with no ill effects but wonder if it will be too hot for starting seedlings.

My third option is my local Town of Lodi compost pile but it'll be buried pretty bad and it never seems like it's very finished stuff.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler