Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Upright columnar hedge suggestions?

Posted by erdmania 4/5-WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 31, 10 at 9:28

I would like to plant a screen along my property line to hide the neighbor's ugly garage from view. I'm looking for suggestions of what type of trees/shrubs would work well in my situation which is:

- hedgerow should be no more than 4-5 feet "thick"
- looking for columnar growth habit without having to shape or prune all the time
- About 15-20 feet tall maximum, 6-8 feet minimum
- soil is silt loam/clay, drains pretty well for what it is
- site is in full to part sun
- plants must be hardy in southern Wisconsin, borderline zone 4 and 5

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you may have!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Upright columnar hedge suggestions?

How about the arborvitae ,'Smaragd' commonly sold as Emerald Green. It grows to be 3-4'w by 10-15' tall. Below is a link that you might find useful for checking out plants that work in our area. One problem with arbs is that deer like to gnaw on them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscape plants of the upper mid-west

o

'Smaragd' is a pyramidal but could work. I would recommend Sky Pencil Holly or Sky Rocket Juniper for a columnar hedge. I have found both at local garden centers.

o

• Posted by maj742 Z4 Green Bay WI (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 11, 10 at 0:24

Rabbits also eat the bottom of Emerald Green Arborvitae, so I planted some low growing evergreen hollies between the arbor vitae now to fill in the rabbit eaten area. It may end up looking good.

I plan to look for pencil junipers for other areas where I'd like to screen the view.

o

Be aware that conifers do not stop growing. For example, 'Smaragd' will get to 15 feet in roughly 15 years (give or take) from a small plant. In year 16 it wiil be 16 feet, year 17 it will be 17 feet, etc. When conifer sizes are given it is usually for 10 or so years as the ultimate size is determined by gravity and how long it lives ;-)
Having said that, arbs are a nice choice but I would mix other conifers in as well such as Picea omorika 'Pendula Bruns', Picea pungens 'The Blues' and Picea glauca 'Pendula'. These were all available at Stein's last year and have about the same growth rate as 'Smaragd'-kinda. Are power line limiting the height?

tj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here