Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maplerbirch

Garden Expo in February

maplerbirch
12 years ago

I was thinking of going down there this year, since I've seen the ad on TV.

To those who have been there in the past:

Is it worth getting a hotel nearby and making a longer weekend of it?

Comments (9)

• athenainwi
    12 years ago

It is very fun. The pruning class is very good since they prune a tree right in front of you so you can see what you are supposed to be doing. A lot of things repeat from Sat to Sun so I usually only go one day but I've been going for several years and I've seen a lot of the seminars. Be sure to check who the seminar is being given by - anything by the UW-Extension is good, as are seminars by Bruce Co. and the Flower Factory. I did not find the seminars given by Mark May to be as good as he seemed a bit more focused on selling products. The dinner is new this year and I'd love to go but can't really afford it.

• wildforager
    12 years ago

I'm a vendor there and its a great time. The workshops are very informative and there lots of cool stuff to see in the vendor area. I would 2nd the above statement, find some good workshops and only make a day of it. But make it a full day.

• maplerbirch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's good to hear about a number of seminars and a 'full day' of things to do and see.

Since it generally takes me a couple of days to accomplish one 'full day', in wintertime, I think I have an excuse to get out of the house for a weekend. :)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    12 years ago

If you are there on Saturday at 9:00am be sure to catch Rich Eyre's talk on conifers. Rich is quite the colorful charecter.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Expo stuff

• wildforager
    12 years ago

I 2nd the comments on Rich. What a great guy and he's got some cool plants too! I picked up a dwarf Ginko from him a few years back. Great little tree!

• maplerbirch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info,
    Just wish I could find a hotel North of the city in advance to make a reservation. Looks like coming in on Friday and starting the day Saturday is the way to go. May not make it by 9am however, but it appears that there is a lot to do and see as we dream of Spring. :)

• athenainwi
    12 years ago

How far north of Madison? There's a nice bed and breakfast by Columbus called Fountain Prairie Inn and Farms but that is probably an hour out. I haven't been there but I've bought meat from them at the farmer's market and they're very nice. There's a few hotels in Sun Prairie which would be just north but I don't know any specifics. There's a Hampton Inn on the west side of Madison that my in-laws liked, but that obviously isn't on the north side.

• wildforager
    12 years ago

If you want economical and close by check out the Madison youth hostel. Not the Ritz Carlton but liveable.

• maplerbirch
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the ideas. It looks like we'll just go down there and make a decision on the run. There must be motels on the road coming in. If not I'll just find one nearby the center.
    Either way it should be fine, and a fun day. :)