Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpptz5b

Wisteria?

lpptz5b
17 years ago

I live in eastern WI near Howards Grove.Has anyone grown or tried to grow Wisteria?

Comments (14)

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Hey, I grew up in Howards Grove! Anyway, I haven't grown it myself. My neighbor has it growing in her yard. It has not bloomed for her yet, and she planted it about 8 years ago. I have heard this is pretty normal for Wisconsin.

• taitai
    17 years ago

I have it. I live in Cleveland. It has bloomed at least one time, often a couple times a year, for the last couple years. It did not bloom till the third year I had it. I prune it VERY heavy.

• taitai
    17 years ago

Wisteria grown from seed can take 10 - 15 years to bloom. Some nurserys sell seedlings. Only buy plants grown from cuttings or grafted plants.

• lpptz5b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for your replies,I think I'll have to try growihg one myself.

• janlynn
    17 years ago

lpptz5b:

do you need/want any seeds for "Lavender Japanese Wisteria"?

Jan

• lpptz5b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jan
    yes I think I'll take you up on that offer.Please let me know how to get my address to you. Though I am somewhat concerned how long it takes them to flower when grown from seed

• taitai
    17 years ago

lpptz5b
    Not only can it take long, but Wisteria Plants grown from seed will not be true to name and may not flower. Do a internet search on "Wisteria from seed".

• milwdave
    17 years ago

This is probably one of those times you might just want to 'bite the bullet' and order a named variety from cutting or graft. I understand they can take YEARS to flower. Whatever you might pay up front would be well worth it. We had one at Boerner Gardens here in Milwaukee. We may still have it but I'm not sure. I can't recall EVER seeing it bloom. (If I'm wrong someone PLEASE correct me on this.)

Dave
    Franklin

• lpptz5b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK the majority think buying grafted plants is best.Then another question is,Do I buy a plant hardy to zone 4? or are plants hardy in zone 5 ok.I am on the line of zone 5a and 5b.according to National Arbor Day Foundations map.This has often been a question with other plants as well.Including Japanese maples that I would like to try.

Tony

• taitai
    17 years ago

This is my Wisteria 'Aunt Dee' Its a zone 4. I consider myself a zone 5, and also have a few Japanese Maples that I can grow here. Dave?? Boerner Botanical?? I LOVE that place.

• janlynn
    17 years ago

sooooo taitai...would you be willing to send cuttings for postage??? that's a beautiful picture.

Jan

• milwdave
    17 years ago

WOW! I am corrected. yes I'm very close to Boerner.

• taitai
    17 years ago

janlyn,
    I sent you an E-mail.

• milwdave
    17 years ago

Where are you located Taitai? Close to the Lake perhaps?

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio