Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superdavefive

Starting from seed.

superdavefive
16 years ago

I usually do not buy too many annuals each year because most end up as worm food. I decided last season to prepare for spring by starting annual seeds in my basement. I already have a grow light going to overwinter a few plants meant for higher than zone 5. Last week I ordered a dome for a seed flat which comes with a heat mat. I find myself going through countless seed catalogs(pen in hand)trying to make a go at this seed thing. My beds are pretty full, but I want to add plants that flower more frequently or add different color to spice things up. I'm almost afraid to buy too much seed! This was started with the idea of saving money! Any tips out there on what to start first or early because it takes a while to develop? Things to avoid? Certain merchants that offer better deals than most? It seems like there is a lot of knowledge in these forums. I am just a rookie starting his 3rd year in his first home.

Comments (10)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Pinetree Seed is the best bang for your buck catalog. I've ordered from them for well over 10 years now. Only place to get the impatiens 'Holstii'. Grows to 4 (yes 4) feet high by summer's end. As for what to start first, around mid-February I start impatiens and petunias.

tj

• taitai
    16 years ago

Dave,
    I bought a great book on seed starting.(There are many) They list "weeks before last frost" planting times. You can also usually find this on the net. That way you will know how long they take to germinate before you buy the seeds. This would be my first tip.. Don't start seeds too early. You end up with leggy seedlings that don't do very well when you transplant them. Your worms might end up with these too. I start several types of annuals and vegetables from seed. I usually look through the catalogs and order what I like. You will be able to find seeds for many plants you may not find in the store. That would be my second tip don't plant what you think you will be able to buy later. It can be alot of work and wasted space to save a couple bucks. Don't worry about buying too many seeds. You don't have to plant all of it. Some seeds can be saved a couple of years.(Also in the book) You could also trade with other gardeners. :) Good luck! Growing plants from seed is the second step in gardening addiction. The next step is seed saving.

• lyndy
    16 years ago

Dave,
    I have had good luck with Valueseeds.com. Great for a first time because they are very reasonable and you generally get smaller amounts of seed. Their selection is a bit limited, but the seed has done well for me. Check out the pictures of my plants I started last year on my page (link below). I had so many do well, that I ended up selling plants. Also, if you want an inexpensive way to start, go to any hardware/garden/walmart etc. They always have those 10 for $1.00 packs. Again, limited variety, but I have had great luck filling in my beds with plants I start with these. They generally carry flowers, vegetables and some herbs. And if they don't make it ( my first tries several years ago didn't work out as well) you haven't spent tons of money on seed. Other advice, make sure to start with a soiless mix, I just use peat moss and vermiculite or perlite. Much less expensive than a "starter mix" And make sure the lights are very close to the tops of the sprouts, or they will get very leggy. And like taitai said, don't start them too early. Also, have a plan for when the weather starts to warm up. If a greenhouse is out of the question, you can build a inexpensive cold frame out of scrap wood and a storm window or door. Or just make the box out of piled up straw bales and lay a window or door on top, use a piece of wood to prop up the window/door for ventilation. Otherwise you will have to take your plants outside, and bring them back inside until they harden off (an important step for success), and that gets a bit tiring after a while, if you have a few flats. It sounds like a lot, but it really is easy and fun as well as rewarding, once you get started. You already have a head start with the heated starting tray and grow lights. That's how I started, now it has grown to mega proportions! Check out my web page below. GOOD LUCK!

Here is a link that might be useful: Lyndy's Page

• superdavefive
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Lyndy-- I have one thing to say: WOW! I was really impressed with several things in your set-up. The wall shelving with the lights mounted underneath are a great idea. I'm inspired! Your atrium and greenhouse are something I can only dream of. I guess we've all got to start somewhere. Do you have any source of heat in that greenhouse? How many months a year can it really be used? I want to get a greenhouse at some point, but I worry about heating it. Thank you all for some additional insight for a newbie!

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

I was just about to start a thread like this, wanting to see who's started their seeds yet.
    I have a grow light set up in my basement, built a few shelves and lights into an insulated closet, air circ fan, timer, etc.
    At one time I tried to start everything, but now I just grow the tomato and pepper varieties that I can't find anywhere, then direct sow the rest or buy flats. I might even try to direct sow tomatoes, they are like weeds anyway. Time for a new experiment...

• mommie_rose
    16 years ago

I'm actually going to try winter sowing this year. There's a forum on this site about it. I've been reading up on it, so I'm going to try it this year and see how I like it.

• daddylonglegs
    16 years ago

Superdave, I can only advise on timing veggies outdoors. I've given up on trying to start anything but tomatoes and peppers. Maybe your heat mat idea is the answer.
    TJ, I have never been successful starting anything but petunias and snapdragons under grow lights. Are you using a heat mat?
    Mommie rose, what are you going to winter sow?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

daddylonglegs- No, no heat mat. I start all kinds of things. At this time of the year my basement is about 60 degrees and impatiens, petunias, and snapdragons start pretty well. Next, in early March will be coleus and a host of others. Even tomatoes (very late March) start ok for me. I just use shop lights.

tj

• birdiewi
    16 years ago

What kind of bulbs do you use in your shop lights? Full-spectrum or a combo?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

I use a mix of warm-white and cool-white. Seems to give enough of a spectrum for the short time the plants are in my basement.

tj

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures