Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aka_margo

My Plants think it's spring!! UGH!

aka_margo
17 years ago

Not only does it feel like spring, I noticed my plants are starting to think it's spring too. I saw daffodils coming up, my sedum is sprouting, and my chocolate vine has a new shoot about 2 1/5 feet tall! Yikes! If only it really was spring!!!

Comments (10)

• putzer
    17 years ago

I am afraid to look...but couldn't help but notice my foxglove is still green...

On a side note, is anyone else really having a lot of problems with their sinuses? I was sick for almost a month and am wondering if the warm weather is allowing for more allergens to stick around.

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I swear I get a sinus headache every single day, it's rather annoying. But I am thankful I haven't gotten any of the other stuff that is going around.

I noticed my foxglove are still green too! My heucheras are still showing no sign of cold also.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

I noticed my daffodils starting to pop up in mid December. I had read another post back in Dec. where someone said their's were coming up. A week later I looked in my gardens and saw mine were coming up too. A few of my irises have gotten new leaves that are at least 6" long. My corydalis are still green and my heucheras (all with colored leaves) are looking so good. I have a groundcover sedum that usually stays green until it gets down in the teens for quite awhile. It's still nice and full with no dieback. I haven't checked my other sedums.
    And now we're having a cold spell move in this week. But it's still going to be warmer than most Januarys in my past. I just hope if we get a really deep cold front move in, we get some snow to protect the plants.
    Btw, this past fall and this winter have been one of my worse years with my sinuses/allergies. The sneezing, the stuffy nose and then the drainage down the throat have been really irritating. I know there's allergy pills, but if I take them too long, I get a dry cough. Oh, almost forgot, my back has really been acting up when these different fronts move in. I have arthritis in my lower spine, and sometimes it is a royal pain. This year has been worse than usual. Oh well, when the warm weather comes, I'll feel better.

Kat

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Kat,
    I just had my second back surgery 6 weeks ago. Every time the weather changes I totally feel it, but my second surgery has been a miracle! I forgot until now what it felt like to not be in constant pain. I think I need to move somewhere where the weather doesn't change as much, but my husband and my parents would never allow it.

Besides my plants coming up, I noticed the rabbits are doing a real number on my shrubs. You would think they would have enough to eat since there is no snow. I actually had to buy rabbit replellent yesterday, as they have been eating my hydrangeas. They had to get the rabbit repellent from the storage room at Stein's because they said they normally don't sell it this time of year.
    Jen

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

It must be spring already because I was at Walmart today and they got rid of all their holiday stuff and had begin stocking seeds, potting mixes, fertilizers and houseplants.

The good part of all this is the houseplants are actually healthy since they haven't been in Walmart's care for long.

So, forget about the outside, y'all still can't grow tomatos no matter how warm it has been, but you can stock up on new houseplants to get through the winter that will eventually come (I think it will come).

• elvis
    17 years ago

Hi, all!

Yup, my sinuses are worse than usual this season, too. And not to gross you out, but the drainage thing makes me nauseous...total bummer.

On a happier note, we do have snow, and nothing is coming up around here, though it certainly is milder than usual. We figure we're in for normal winter weather eventually, but hey! Look what we've gotten away with so far--by now we would normally be tired of winter, right? I'm not dreaming about a cruise for a change--

I'm gonna swing into the storage barn on the way in tonight and grab some flats--got the urge to WS. Anyone started yet?

Constance.

• justaguy2
    17 years ago

Haven't WSed yet. Too warm. Will probably wait until Feb to start here. Hopefully be then there is some regularity and predictability to the weather. Then again, this is Wisconsin so who am I kidding.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    17 years ago

Jen, glad your back surgery worked so well. My hubby has a couple of herniated disks, but so far he can handle that. He gets shooting pains down his legs and numbness in his feet, but his back seldom bothers him.
    We had flurries last nite, but they didn't last. Looks like next weekend we'll be getting some temps that are average for Jan. I just hope our winter doesn't stretch into spring.

Kat

• aka_margo
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's the day of magically disappearing posts! Last night I posted to this, then went back and only post from July of last year and older were here. When I went back today my replies were gone!

Kat, the wierd thing about herniated discs is that it's not your back that hurts. It is your legs, hips, and feet that usually hurt the worst. I had lost feeling from my knee down in one leg right before the surgery this time.

Elvis, I have never been to or heard of Kahn's. You would think growing up in that area and still having family there I would know about these kinda things, since it involves plants.

I have been to the Jung's in Sun Prairie and the one in Randolph. The one in Randolph wins hands down. A HUGE bare root room with cheap plants. Last year I got hydrangeas for $3 a piece, and they leafed out as soon as I planted them.

• elvis
    17 years ago

Jen, Kahn's is wonderful; go if you're in the area! Last year they had these wonderful garden frogs and turtles and bunnies made from cement and treated to look as though they were ancient, all covered with greenish peely stuff that looks like lichens. I don't like cutesy, I like old--and they were reasonably priced, too. Their greenhouses are really big, and the prices in there are good, too.

Hydrangeas for $3.00? Wow!

Con

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida