Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
periwinkledenise

Whodjaorderfrom?

periwinkledenise
18 years ago

:) I'm mailing a couple of orders this week and others to follow but I'm ordering from:

1. Select Seeds---one of Garden Watchdog's Top 10

2. Pinetree Seeds---every year I'm pleased.

3. Jungs

4. Van Bourgedion

5. Gurneys has a $20.00 coupon; I ordered about $26.00

worth of things--so I'm only spending a little; they

want to improve their reputation.

6. My new favorite is "Hazzard's Greenhouse" - online.

Too early now but just wait! I Love that company!

How about you? Who'veyouorderedfrom?

Comments (16)

• putzer
    18 years ago

I just took advantage of the same 20.00 offer from Gurneys-I came in just under so it is free...ahh, I love free. :)

I want to order from Select Seeds yet and White Flower Farm-if nothing else, just to keep those catalogs coming! But I won't order a lot-I like buying locally.

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    18 years ago

I've only ordered a few times in the past and that was from Jung's. No problems with them, but I do find what I want locally. And I love going to the different nurseries to see what they look like 'live'.

Kat

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

I have some dahlia coming from Aztec, Dan's and in an order of seeds and a perennial from Jung's. I do have a small order with Burpee also. Seeds are so expensive.

• tufameister
    18 years ago

I like going to local nurseries too and we have a great "home" nursery in Ripon with lots on unique plants. I will also be placing an order from Klehm's Song Sparrow nursery. Their prices/shipping are right up there, but their plants are awesome and arrive in excellent shape. White Flower Farm and van Bourgondien are a few of my other favorites.

• periwinkledenise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I do also buy from my favorite local nursery more than anything but I like to try new things.
    You really should check out Hazzards' Greenhouse online; they're wonderful!

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

tufameister,
    what's the one in Ripon - I go thru there about once a month

• tufameister
    18 years ago

Bigcityal, The name of the place is Country Gardens. If you're coming through Ripon, you're probably either on Hwy. 23 or Hwy. 44. Both of them cross Douglas Street. Take Douglas St. north a few miles out into the country and you will see the house and greenhouses on your left. She is only open May through July.

• bigcityal
    18 years ago

I'll try to find it. I would have to guess that Douglas is at the 4 way stop by Bremmner Foods.

• elvis
    18 years ago

I'm going to order a few things from R.H. Shumway's, as I love their catalog and products and I have a $16.62 partial replacement credit. They're very good about giving credit when seeds don't do their thing.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from valueseeds.com (awesome prices!). We'll see how quality the seeds are.

Van Bourgondien is also very good about replacement.

Roots and Rhizomes has a wonderful catalog, unfortunately, poor stock upon arrival--twice. I give up.

putzer, trust me. Whether you order or not, the catalogs will keep coming. I've got 16 new ones, and must have tossed nearly that many :0

Anyone else?

Constance.

• tufameister
    18 years ago

bigcityal, You,re heading in the right direction for Country Gardens - it's out by Bremner but Douglas St. is farther east out of town yet.

• megansarah
    18 years ago

I've ordered from Tomato Grower's Supply and Burpee so far. I'm in the process of trying to narrow down my selection from Park Seeds too. Aside from that, I just know I'll be getting some annuals from our awesome local garden center too. I can't resist!

• noinwi
    18 years ago

I ordered some hot pepper seeds, along with Black Krim and Wisconsin 55 tomato seeds from Reimer's. I also picked up cuke, zuke, herbs and flower seeds from Walmart.

• periwinkledenise
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kat, yes there is nothing else like seeing that grand new perennial in your local nursery.
    I like what my favorite nursery in Rhinelander is doing--they are the ones who patented Heliopsis 'Lorraine Sunshine' and the owner has been very involved in native plants and protecting shorelands through good plantings.
    I wish I could order from Joy Creek (especially for clematis) but oh! the prices are high! Or I should say, the shipping is high! I understand that their packaging is wonderful though.

Hmm....usually I can wait comfortably until Valentines Day and then start wishing Spring were here but It's getting hard with the discussions we're having here....... ::)

p.s. Constance (Elvis): I smiled when I read yours 'cuz I know you like Shumway's; that's too bad about Roots and Rhizomes--I was thinking of giving them a try. (I also like Van Bourgiodon & JUST LOVE Van Englen's for bulbs!).

• janlynn
    18 years ago

Parks Seed, Swallowtail Garden Seeds, Horn Canna Farm, Hirt's Greenhouse, Harris Seeds, Ed Hume, Pinetree, Onalees, Select Seeds, J L Hudson, Seedsavers, Vesey's, Seymours...

Jan, who likes to play in dirt

• cactus_cathy
    18 years ago

Parks and Thompson and Morgan for me. I already got my orders. I spent the big bucks this yr for Snail Vine seeds. Had to have them. Now I have to sit on my hands until it's time to plant!!! (Big Sigh!)

Cactus Cathy

• noinwi
    18 years ago

Looks like I messed up. AFTER I order from Reimer's, I find a bizillion negative reviews about their poor germination rates, and equally poor customer service. Time for Plan B (as soon as I think of a Plan B):(

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994