Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puffysmom

Starting in greenhouse

puffysmom
17 years ago

This is my first winter with a greenhouse. I had moved from Wis 22 years ago and eventually moved in with my son in Florida. Well they decided they no longer wanted to live down there so we all moved back up here. In order for me to make the move I said I had to keep my orchids. Well the first winter I had them in basement which is not a great place to keep them but did not lose any. Just stressed them out big time. This year I have a greenhouse (which I am learning a lot about) and i want to start plants for our garden and landscaping. When is a good time to start them? Anyone start their seeds this early in Wis?

I ordered some kits with heat pads to start out with. My greenhouse is heated of course but not as hot as seeds like to germinate. Price was good anyway.

I also ordered some of the cow poo pots that was shown on Dirty Jobs. That should be great for when they get bigger to transplant into.

Thanks for any help any of u can give me. I live in Northeastern Wis. Zone5.

Comments (5)

• heartsease
    17 years ago

I don't have a greenhouse but usually start these at the end of January ... begonias, coleus, cardoon, datura, impatiens, penta, lavender, downy sage, pansies, and daylily.
    Linda

• puffysmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply Linda. Guess I need to get some seeds ordered. Would think greenhouse is the same as growing them inside the house.

• elvis
    17 years ago

Depends on your greenhouse. Mine is part of my house; sort of a sunroom with south, west, and east facing banks of windows, and skylights. So it's basically the same temp as the rest of the house. Light is the thing--if you don't use grow lights you may have spindly plants. I use one long grow light on a track; it moves back and forth continously and I can adjust the height to get closer or farther from the table surface.

I'll be starting tomatoes, peppers, and marigolds end of February, and setting out the toms and peppers early to mid May in Wall O'Waters.

Used to start broccoli and other coles indoors, thinking I needed to. Not! They do much better direct sowed, and seem to grow just as quickly; maybe it's the lack of transplant shock. Same with morning glories.

I'm an orchid grower too, puffysmom--I'll bet they're delirously happy to be in the greenhouse now!

• puffysmom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks elvis. Yes. They r happy. I lost one while in the basement and a few r not looking happy but one of them was already looking sad long before I left Fl. It is a vanda and just never grew any decent roots.
    What kind of orchids do u grow up here. The same as anyplace else? I keep my greenhouse between 62 and 70 depending on if the sun is shining or not. I have north, east and south with the end that opens facing the shed (west)with that area built up so it keeps the major cold out. My son had windows so he built a hallway with those windows. Could not get a door in in time so have plastic on one end. It still gets cold but no major cold wind blowing in when I open the door.
    In the winter I have sun most of the day but in summer it is shaded which is good for the orchids.
    I do plan on having lights for the seedlings. I did not know u could pland broccoli direct sowing. Didnt think they grew that fast. When in spring do u plant those?

• elvis
    17 years ago

PM, for orchids, I have success with miltassia, phals, paphs, oncidiums, cyms, tampensis radicans, dends. The 'greenhouse' is actually part of my home; I keep it at around 68 this time of year. It's hydronic heat that comes through the ceramic floor. In the summer it can get pretty hot in there, so the skylights are open during the day. There are sensors in the skylight screens which cause them to close if it rains hard.

For the veggie garden, I rototill in fall, then in spring rake it into raised rows and hills. We cover the whole veggie garden with heavy black plastic and cut openings for the plants. The tough stuff, i.e., broccoli, cabbage, radishes, lettuce, kohlrabi, carrots, parsnips go in as soon as the ground can be worked. We wait on the delicates such as corn and beans until the full moon at the end of May. By the time they come up, frost is usually not an issue. We do have a little insurance, though. We trenched in our watering system underground from a pump at our lakeshore. When frost threatens early or late season, I simply turn on the spigot which sprinkles the garden, and set the alarm for the wee hours. That way I can get up and flip a switch in the greenhouse, which is adjacent to the master bedroom, and the pump kicks in and the warm lake water sprinkles the garden. Works pretty slick.

The purpose of the black plastic is no weeds, no dirty shoes, and really warm ground :)

Sorry for the long-winded answer!

Constance.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH