Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyndwalkr

Is what I am seeing Flame Grass?

wyndwalkr
16 years ago

SW Wisconsin here. For a couple years I have been wondering about some ornamental grass I see a lot locally. No one I ask seems to have a name for it. Some places it grows in great large patches. Has a soft flowing plume. Now that the gardening catalogs have arrived, I see a something called Flame Grass (Miscanthus Purpurescens) that closely resembles what I am trying to name. Catalog says only up to zone 5 though, and what I see is growing so profusely in many places, that it can hardly be "tender" for zone 4. ????

Any help putting a name to this plume grass?

Comments (8)

• luvtosharedivs
    16 years ago

Wyndwalkr,

I haven't tried M. Purpurascens yet, only Calamagrostis (Variegated Reed Grass) and Graziella grass, both very hardy in my zone 5.

I do know that many people in my area treat some ornamental grasses as annuals, replanting every year. (Not something I would do - too much work).

Do you see your locally grown grasses in people's yards/gardens, or in meadow/prairie sites? I know that some of the native grasses can be very invasive if grown in your garden.

I did locate a site that lists Flame grass as hardy to zone 4. So I'd go for it, depending where you want to plant it in your landscape.

Julie

Here is a link that might be useful: Flame Grass

• superdavefive
    16 years ago

I was also looking for an ornamental grass, but not exactly for a flower garden. I live in a subdivision and I have several green boxes in the far corner of my lot line for cable tv and phone (to feed mine and ajoining properties.) I planted a clump magnolia a couple feet in front of these to hide them from view, but I've found that this area is a pain to mow the grass. It's almost all trimming! I was trying to locate a beautiful plume type ornamental grass to let this area go a little wild, but still look good. Please let me know if you find what you're looking for. I had hoped to start something from seed. My gardening budget is quite a bit smaller than my dreams!

• leftwood
    16 years ago

What you are seeing in great large patches (that increase yearly) is Miscanthis sacchariflorus. A wonderful grass but very invasive, with its creeping underground root system.

Miscanthus Purpurescens is Miscanthus sinensis 'Purpurescens'. It, as are all sinensis cultivars, are clumping grasses that increase in breadth with years, but remain compact. Both sacchariflorus and sinensis are known as Flame grass, among many other common names. Unschooled public often refer to Miscanthus as Pampas grass, which it is not. Pampas grass (Cortaderia sp.) has no chance of living up here. Sinensis still has virtually the same pleasing seed heads as sacchariflorus, and the many and varied cultivars give a broad selection of plant size and form, and color of heads (pink, red, silver). Purpurescens is an old and good, somewhat dwarf form, 4-5ft, and tends to be a more cold hardy one too, easily zone 4. As with many herbaceous materials that are rated zone 5, zone 4 is usually an easy stretch for most Miscanthus sinensis cultivars, excepting the zebrina types that have banded variegated leaves. they are iffy in z4.

All miscanthus (for practical purposes) do not produce seed in Minnesota or Wisconsin. If you find Miscanthus seed offered, it is most likely either non-viable or Miscanthus sacchariflorus (the invasive type).

Incidently, if you want to gather the plumes for fall or winter arranging, the best time is while it is still in its shiny, not fully fluffed stage. It will continue to fluff when dried, and won't be shedding inside all winter. For most, sacchariflorus is better for winter arranging, as sinensis tends to curl its branchlets as it dries.

• wyndwalkr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all and especially leftwood. Yes, everyone who had a clump of it just called it Pampas Grass (or that !@#$% weed!!) and I knew it was not actual Pampas Grass. Now I know that I can try the Flame Grass as well as digging out a clump from the many people I know who have some, if I want the local stuff. That would be less colorful but probably more hardy. Not to bother with seed collecting.

I have no qualms as to it's invasiveness. I am trying to cover areas with various expanding "no-mow" choices. I am very rural and it won't spread to a suburban neighbor.

Thanks again!

• leftwood
    16 years ago

I have no qualms as to it's invasiveness. I am trying to cover areas with various expanding "no-mow" choices. I am very rural and it won't spread to a suburban neighbor.

IMO, this is EXACTLY why you should NOT use the invasive kind!

Imagine yourself trying to eradicate an existing local stand of that stuff, and what will happen to that area afterwards. It will require at least two successive applications of Round up before it gets too tall. And remember, Round up kills everything. Please rethink this! A small confined area of a suburban lot would force you to keep it in check and of a controllable size. A fifty foot advancing line of Flame grass is hardly controllable! What happens when it eventually wants to spread into the woods, around a swamp or marsh, into the road ditch(government right-of-way) or anyplace it cannot be controlled? And your "expanding no-mow choices" will become one choice - Flame grass.

Sacchariflorus (the spreading type) will even choke out quack grass, wild tall fescues and brome grass, not to mention all the other diversity of native flora. Basically, anything shorter than the Miscanthus will go. Flame grass has no value as wildlife habitat or food. If you want your "no mow" areas to be essentially void of life (no birds either) than maybe this is what you want for your silent spring, summer, fall and winter.

BTW, many sources do not differentiate between sacchariflorus and sinensis, and list Miscanthus sinensis as the invasive type (not mentioning the other at all). There is a lot of confusion, as the myth has very deep roots. But all of the sinensis cultivars are clumping types. Sacchariflorus has no cultivars, to my knowledge (and relief). Mary Hockenberry Meyer is the leading authority for ornamental grasses for cold climates, and has written a booklet by the same name. She does differentiate correctly, and lists sacchariflorus as strongly invasive, but not necessarily bad if it can be controlled. That is the key.

• madisonkathy
    16 years ago

Absolutely the best comparison chart I've seen for OG.

Here is a link that might be useful: ornamental grasses

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

Thanks for the link! That is a great site for grasses.

tj

• bristlingacres
    16 years ago

I've been wondering what the grass is too! (SW WI)
    Astrid