Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elvis_gw

Winter Sowing Yet?

elvis
18 years ago

Has anyone started WS yet? I'm gonna buy some soil and start tonight. If you have started WS, what did you sow?

Comments (10)

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Hello! I had never heard of WS before I found the GW. What a fun new thing to try! Did my first ever WS this past weekend, assisted by my 7 year old daughter. Wow did she get into this! We had fun! Used all the containers that I had collected. So far I've only used seeds that I had gathered. Things that tend to seed themselves around here. Daylily, iris, morning glory, moss roses and poppy. Have tried for about 7 years to grow poppy with no success. Maybe this is the ticket? Am looking for more containers, so we can try some other stuff too.

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sandy, what kind of poppies are you trying to grow? Annuals or orientals? I've had good results; maybe I can help?

Constance.

• Julie
    18 years ago

Hey there Elvis!
    It's your nosy neighbor lookin over the fence.....
    I wintersowed last year for the first time- and had a HUGE success with almost everything! (A few of my success' were from you!) I did not get heleborus- some clematis and cimicifuga to come up- and a few grasses- but other wise- trees, bushes, shrubs perennials, and annuals all came up!
    I started Jan 2nd this year- and put out just over a hundred containers full of shrubs seeds- ditalis- penstemmons- hosta- astilbe- heuchera- alcea- aquilegia- pretty much any hardy to our zone perennial that I had swapped for- or was trying to make more of what I had. I put out another 50 or more last weekend- and will probably coninue to set out containers till just about spring. I will wait to put out half hardy annuals till maybe mid to late March- and then I will try the tender annuals when it is a tad warmer.
    I am a little concerned I may run out of soil and need to find some more before most stores will be carrying it....
    I do start tropicals and others that I really want to get a head start on earlier indoors under lights.
    How many of what kind are you winter sowing?

• sandlady
    18 years ago

Hi Elvis, I've been trying to grow oriental poppies. Lets see... dug some out from a friend, they died. Bought some at a garden center, they died. Someone told me they need to be started from seed so I direct seeded in spring. Used store bought seeds, used seeds from a friend, they sprout, start to grow, die. Tried to start from seed early in house, same thing. Winter sowing is my last ditch effort. Many years ago I inherited some with a house I used to have. They came back every year, no muss no fuss, so pretty. I miss them. :-(

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

sandlady, I have lots of orange oriental poppies. I have heard they don't like to be moved. Balderdash! I moved every one of them, and they bloomed the same year I moved them. I need to move them again due to some yard remodeling, so if you would like a plant, LMK, and I'll dig you a nice one come spring. We'll do a trade, no? I started them from seed indoors--they bloomed the 3rd year out. I'm starting several colors of the orientals this year; some inside, some WS, and some direct sow as soon as the snow melts off the beds. Ordered plants last year and we'll see how they fared this winter. If they bloom I'll have seed to share.

email me if you're interested in the orange plants, and I'll put you in my Spring tickler (hehehehehe) pile.

Con.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi Con,
    No :( Can't with this 1 1/2 inch gash on my palm. But I have all the seeds picked out. I had promised myself that I wouldn't do too much this year because I want to work on the structure of the garden instead of having too many plants in spring. I'm trying but the list keeps growing. I have had great results with annuals too in fact I got a great mix from you. You gave me so much I still have some to plant this year. I'm gonna say to heck with the north dakota garden as the hollyhocks aren't doing very well and throw some poppies in even though they don't grow them there. I have had trouble with orientals too. I do have a prince of orange that will be 3 years old this year that I started by winter sowing. So far it has been only 3" across and kind of yellow and sickly looking. Do you promise that it will get big and bloom this year? I bet it has something to do with soil type, because my mom grows them (up north by you) no problem. Oh yeah, back to winter sowing. Love it. It has revolutionized the way I garden.
    Catrina

• kailea
    18 years ago

Just discovered this about winter sowing. Where do you plant? Outside? In green house - heated? Tell me more. What can be started now, so early? And what do you do with the new plants until time to set out? We are set for a lot of "winter" yet not conducive to growing so am scratching my head on how this all works.

• PRO
    Catrina's Garden
    18 years ago

Hi Kailea,
    Look at the FAQ on the winter sowing forum, that will tell you everything. It's a wonderful method and Trudy is a genious.
    Catrina

• kailea
    18 years ago

Thanks, Catrina. Will check it out. Have a good day!!!!

• elvis
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Catrina, what kind of soil do you have? My oriental poppies are in well drained, sandy soil with some compost mixed in--not too fertile. Partial sun. What kind of soil does your Mom have? Same as me?

Con.

Sponsored