Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diatomaceous Earth

Posted by dickiefickle 5B Dousman,Wi. (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 3, 10 at 20:28

Do any of you use Diatomaceous Earth ? If so how,and how much ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diatomaceous Earth

I use it.

What are you trying to use it for???? Ants in the kitchen? Centipedes in the basement? Bedbugs? Fleas? What?

It is also used for water filters. What are you intending to use it for and how big an area?

o

I read of using on top of soil for some insect pests ,and wondered if someone used it for that purpose.

o

I used to use it mostly around the base of plants for slugs when we lived in the PNW(slug central)before the safer types of slug killer came out. You can also dust the plants, some people use a 'puffer' dispenser, I just used a small paint brush. The DE basically scratches the pests to death as it is tiny crustacean(sp?)shells. Rain will wash it away and you'll have to re-apply. You need to wear a dust mask so you don't breath it in(it's like powder)...other than that, it is not poisonous. It was so long ago that I used it, that I can't remember what pest other than slugs I was using it for...possibly aphids.

o

I sprinkle it around my bean seedlings, on the leaves and on the soil, until they're bigger. When I don't do this the slugs/earwigs eat them up.

I think I've read diatomaceous earth works on any crawling insect. As long as they drag their little body over it, it cuts them up.

o

It will also kill your bees in the garden. And the earthworms. And any other beneficial insects. DE is not selective. It will also blow in the wind to other areas where it was not applied.

I would suggest only using it indoors on plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here