Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peppers and other veggies.

Posted by bridge1 Northern Wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 22, 09 at 20:35

Last year we started habaneros indoors in early March. They grew well but didn't ripen until almost October. A little late for making hot salsa. Should we start seeds in February? Most of the plants that we started in March turned out well, but we found you have to keep the grow lights very close to the plants. Geraniums turned out very good. Would appreciate any thoughts on starting seed planting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peppers and other veggies.

I would suggest starting them as early as you can, but also you can bring the plants indoors over the winter and give them water only once in awhile (basically ignore them). With a little luck they will survive until the weather warms again and then they will produce much faster.

o

I haven't grown Habaneros, but last year grew Lemon Drop and had the same problem of them needing a longer season to mature, so I just recently started two plants in hope of earlier ripening. They also took a little longer to germinate than my other peppers, which I usually start mid-March. Of course, a cool growing season will slow down the plants even if we start them early and we can't do anything about that except hope for the best. Still, it wouldn't hurt to start at least a couple Habs earlier than your others.

o

last winte i brought my 2 cayenne peppers indoors from the garden. i just dug them up and plopped them into large pots. I wantered them but no other special care was given. they became a little bare but survived. in spring, one went outside and did great and one went to work in a big window and produced as many peppers as the one outside. they both produced earlier and larger than they did originally. the indoor one is almost a small tree - LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here