Return to the Wisconsin Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Borers - Apple Trees

Posted by deepspacedave WI (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 13 at 20:43

Hi All,
New to the forum here but have a question for the experts. We're going to plant a dozen apple trees this year (carefully researched). We have had extensive borer damage to pine trees on our property (all that we have planted, 2-10 years old). Looking at apple pests my main concern is/was the apple borer, but after more searching I haven't found much about it in the state of WI except in the south (we are in Waushara County). My plans to mitigate the borer risk is/was to use insect screen around the trunk during the peak threats (because I'm paranoid). Getting to the point is this level of protection necessary? Also concerned if non-apple borers are a threat to the apples (such as the ones that attack our pine trees). We will not be using any pesticides and will assume we will lose fruit to pests, but I don't want to lose entire trees due to borers! Pine trees are easy to replace (cheap), apples not so much. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Borers - Apple Trees

You are aware that pine borers and apple bores are different critters, right? As to your own geographic area, the best place to start would be the University Extension office in your area.

tj

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Offices

o
RE: Borers - Apple Trees

Yes, I just wanted to make sure they didn't cross over and "explore" new trees. I will take a peek at the link, thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wisconsin Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here