Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturemitch

Calling all pepper planters:)

naturemitch
18 years ago

Hello Everyone,

Wanted to start a thread about how everyone does with pepper plants in this part of the country?

What are you growing? What has been a huge success/disappointment? How early do you start? Do you container grow or garden grow? I would love to hear some feedback from us zone 4/5 'ivers'!

Last summer was a great summer for our pepper plants...although a bit more rain would of helped. We grew all heirloom varities...and were quite impressed with what we ended up with. The fish pepper and the black hungarian were the neatest looking, while the chervena chuska received rave reviews with its eating quality(more of a roaster/sweet pepper).

Hope to hear from others...

michele

Comments (3)

• aspen
    18 years ago

Hi Michele,
    Last years peppers were great. I mulched them with black plastic. We usually only plant the more common peppers, because some years they just don't do well for us if we have a cool summer. Where do you get your heirloom seeds from? Are they more reliable than the hybrids?

Colleen

• lynxville
    18 years ago

I raise quite a few peppers, including many varieties of hot ones. I will start mine in two weeks and I keep them in the greenhouse until the ground is warm. If I put them in to early they don't seem to grow much until it warms up. I have tried a number of times to use pots with only moderate success. I like them in the ground the best.

• engevold
    18 years ago

I too have planted mine (in basement, under fluorescent lights, bottom heat). I prefer the ornaments to go in outdoor pots: trifetti, medusa, fips, black pearl, bird, cayenne, and others. Most pot up and maintain over winter for that bonsai look, others I take cuttings of in fall. I start the ones for the garden at the end of March: jalapenos, ancho, cherry.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH