newhostaaddict

Any Hosta Lovers/Addicts In WI????

newhostaaddict
17 years ago

where are you??

how many do you have???

want a visitor????,,,,LOL

AND,,,, YOU are welcome to come here...

Jill (with just 200,,,1/2 hour south of green bay)

Comments (54)

• luvtosharedivs
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sure Jill, you can drop in.
    Just e-mail me before you come down this way and I'll give you directions.

Julie

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

julie....great....hope to see you and your gardens sometime soon....

kris...my son lives in Madison...(Fitchburg, really)...you will have to start trading some of those multiple hostas out for other varieties....i'm sure your gardens still look great.....

jill

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

You already know about me!! Won't tell you how many I ordered just last week...eek!

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

lol,,jen

can't wait to see them,,,

i am still putting my wish list together and calculating my best plan of action,,,lol

and this year,,,you will have to get over here to see my newbies,,,,hope they all make it through,,,

jill

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

This was my list from last week:
    Allegan Fog
    American Icon
    American Sweetheart
    Bother Stefan
    Climax
    Cracker Crumbs
    Cutting Edge
    Komodo Dragon
    Manhattan
    Popcorn
    Queen of the Seas
    Reptillian
    Designer Genes
    Emerald Rough Cut
    Hippodrome
    Ice Age Trail
    Rosedale Golden Goose
    Stargate
    Solar Flare
    X-Rated
    Chopsticks
    Lakeside Cranberry Relish
    Silver Threads, Golden Needles

• virginia_w
    17 years ago

I live in northern Wisconsin near the Winter Greenhouse. I admit to being a hosta addict. I now have about 180 varieties and about 3-4 hundred total hostas, since I have 3 and 4 of some kinds. I try to limit my order to about 10 new ones each year, but always find a few at the Winter Greenhouse I have to have. If any of you come to the Greenhouse to buy plants, you are very welcome to stop by. We have no lawn, only plants, in our yard near Winter. My husband keeps reminding me not to clear any more of the woods because the more I plant, the more I have to maintain, but I always see another spot where I can put something. He is actually an enabler since he helps plant, divide, maintains the compost pile, and gives me gift money for plants each year.

• janetpetiole
    17 years ago

Hi, Jill! If you are 1/2 hour south of Green Bay, we are practically neighbors. I'd love to see your garden. Of course, not today ;-)

I don't know if I have an addiction or not, but I do have to control myself when I am near them. I don't have enough shade at this point, but if I go to Scenic View or Foxfire Gardens, I'm sure I'll end up with more hostas, expecially the minis.

The ones I purchased last year:

Paul's Glory
    St Paul (sport of Paul's Glory)
    Blue Angel
    Francee
    Thunderbolt
    Wide Brim
    Vera Verde
    Sagea

I also have Sum & Substance,at least that is what the plant tag said. I've had it for over 3 years, but it barely grows.

Two yellow/green hostas - I don't know what they are, but I like them.

A few Hostas that I inherited when I bought this property: large green hostas that grow very fast - perhaps dull to some, but I like that they sort of act as a netural zone between other hostas. Lastly - one generic large green and white hosta that I've been tolerating until I can increase my collection. It grows well in a very damp spot, but not so much elsewhere.

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jen....you are getting a LOT i don't have....will have to check the library for pics...

virginia...mapquest says you are 5 hours from me...wish i had gotten into hostas sooner....my daughter just graduated from stout last spring...now she lives the other way...4 hours away...but you never know...roadtrip....lol...

janet...we all have to start somewhere...i only had "maybe 30" varieties a year and a half ago....now i have 200...and can't wait until they get "Bigger"....hopefully all the watering we did last year will have helped...

i'll keep you posted when they are up...

jill

• Hosta_Haven
    17 years ago

I moved from Menasha, WI (I bet close to you, Jill) to DeForest, WI (outside of Madison..near you, turquoise), bringing ~147 varieties of hosta with me. We live on the edge of a conservancy with Wisconsin's largest black cherry tree in our backyard. See photo...

{{gwi:1351726}}

I'm truly an addict. I've ordered 23 new varieties in the past two weeks...So I think that brings my count to 170.

Virginia, I'm so jealous! I went to the Winter Greenhouse a couple of years ago while my DH was on a business trip up there. It was AWESOME! In fact, I've never forgot the huge dark green (almost black) hosta they have in their display garden. I asked several people there what it was but NO ONE knew. It wasn't labelled. Do you know which one I mean? It was about 2' high and 4'+ across. The leaves were kind of shiny (if I'm remembering right) but it was the deepest color hosta I've ever seen! If I lived near there, I'd be in serious debt! (or in jail for sneaking a piece of that black hosta from their display garden..I WANT it!) LOL!!

Char (knee deep in snow and more on the way)

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi char...will have to look you up when we visit our son (in madison)...there are actually a lot of yards with "hostas" around there....

menasha is only 15 min. from me...wish i was collecting hostas a few years ago....i WISH they grew FASTER....

we only got about 6 inches of snow where i am last night....but more on the way tonight....i WAS hoping for a BIG one...lol...

jill

• pkton
    17 years ago

hi, just found this forum. I have started dabbling in Hosta the past few years. Don't have too many yet but hope to get a few more this year. Anyone else out there in the Janesville area?

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

Hi, I always forget about the new Wisconsin forum...

If my list is up to date I'm at about 245 hostas and I'm just a couple miles north of Deforest (also Madison area).

• davej_07
    17 years ago

Just read the Wisconsin forum for the first time this year. Im a certified Hostaholic from the Milwaukee area. I started in this strange obsession a few years ago and Im well over 200 going into this spring. That doesnt include the 100+ seeds Ive started from various hostas. My Father and I are both Hosta nuts and we love garden visitors, drop me a line if youre in the area:)

Also, I'll be doing alot of diiding this spring and will be looking for trades:)

Dave

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

pkton...be careful....the "addiction" sneaks up on you...before you know it....you will be getting rid of those daylilies to make room for hostas...

dave...we will have to swap lists...i hope i have something to share that you don't have...

that goes for you also...flowersformyfarm....how far from fitchburg are you???...

jill

• FlowersForMyFarm
    17 years ago

Jill, Fitchburg isn't far at all, just on the other side of Madison, maybe a half hour. You'll have to come by for a visit when you're in town. :-)

• daddylonglegs
    17 years ago

You are right about becoming a Hosta addict, it did sneak up on me. I have been liking them more and more. Only have about a dozen of them, now I'm out of shade.
    It's that time of year when we start talking about plant swaps. I may offer my place for a SE WI swap (Waukesha) this year, I'll get a thread going.
    Rich

• davej_07
    17 years ago

I know this isnt the place to post this, but in case anyone in the area is interested in trading this year..........let me know.

Hosta Name
    Sum and Substance
    Pineapple Upside-down Cake
    Halcyon
    Pineapple Poll
    Masquerade
    Guacamole
    Abiqua Drinking Gourd
    Stained Glass
    Great Expectations
    Whirlwind
    Blue Angel
    Blue Umbrellas
    Sun Power
    Patriot
    Royal Standard
    Gold Standard
    Super Nova
    Samurai
    Ani Machi (Geisha)
    Zounds
    August Moon
    Inniswood
    Olive Bailey Langdon
    Robert Frost
    Fire and Ice
    Sagae
    Sea Fire
    Gold Regal
    Fortunei Hyacinthina
    Tokudama Flavo Circinalis
    Elvis Lives
    Krossa Regal
    Undulata Medio-variegata
    Aphrodite
    Fragrant Blue
    Minuteman
    Mack the Knife
    Twilight
    Fried Bananas
    Janet
    Stilletto
    Nakaina
    Twist of Lime
    Abiqua Moonbeam
    Moonlight
    Silk Kimono
    fortunei AureoMarginata (Gold Crown)
    Love Pat
    Honeybells
    Spilt Milk
    Big Mama
    Kikuti var. Caput-Avis
    Frosted Jade
    sieboldiana Elegans
    montana On Stage
    King Tut
    Illicit Affair
    Praying Hands
    Pauls Glory
    Golden Tiara
    Cadillac
    Invincible
    Golden Sunburst
    Allen P. McConnell
    Brim Cup
    Lemon Lime
    Gum Drop
    Blue Wedgwood
    Birchwood Parky's Gold
    Moerheim
    Marbled Cream os
    Shogun
    Veronica Lake
    Moon Lily
    montana Aureo-Marginata
    Golden Meadows
    Medusa
    Wide Brim
    Francis Williams
    Abiqua Blue Crinkles
    Pearl Lake
    Lakeside Looking Glass
    Cherry Berry
    Grey Ghost
    Shiro Tama
    Radiant Edger
    Winter Snow
    So Sweet
    Serendipity
    Striptease
    Ground Master
    Abiqua Elephant Ear
    Guardian Angel
    Jade Scepter
    Decorata
    Fan Dance
    Clausa
    Banana Muffins
    Paradigm
    Night before Christmas
    Fragrant Bouquet
    September Sun
    Pilgrim
    Fair Maiden
    Omoto Giboshi
    Blue Plisse
    Ice Age Trail
    Abba Dabba Do
    Blue Moon
    Blue Boy
    Lakeside Lollypop
    Lucy Vitols
    Cliffords Stingray
    Sea Beacon
    Eternal Flame
    Lakeside Black Satin
    Permanent Wave
    Little Sunspot
    Niagara Falls
    Alvatine Taylor
    Chiquita
    Hydon Sunset
    Leola Fraim
    Golden Sculpture
    Allegan Fog
    Dust Devil
    Diamond Tiara
    Kiwi Black Magic
    Alex Summers
    Lady in Waiting OS
    Red October
    Midwest Magic
    Silver Edge
    Cliffords Comet
    Pizzazz
    Dark Star
    Grey Piecrust
    Lakeside Shoremaster
    Lakeside Mom OS
    Embroidery
    Leviathan
    Sugar and Cream
    Lacey Belle
    American Halo
    Orange Marmalade
    Dawn's Early Light
    Dorothy Benedict OS
    Lakeside Sir Logan OS
    Lakeside Surf Rider OS
    Maui Buttercups
    Metallica
    Streaked sport of Patriot
    June Fever
    Revolution
    Island Charm
    Thunderbolt
    Abby
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Wolverine
    Remember Me
    tokudama Blue Shadows
    Blue dimples
    Morning Light
    Paradise Joyce
    Francee
    Black Hills
    Heart and Soul
    Heartsong
    Holy Mole
    Sum of All
    Ginko Craig
    Fire Island
    Peanut
    American Sweetheart
    Beckoning
    Deja Blu
    Komodo Dragon
    Rainforest Sunrise
    Sea Lotus Leaf OS
    Spinach Patch
    Lakeside Baby Face OS (Streaked)
    Blue Betty Lou
    Gunsmoke
    Bullfrog
    Spritzer
    Lakeside Sparkle Plenty
    First Mate
    Regal Splendor
    Christmas Tree
    Green Gold
    Eskimo Pie
    Independence
    Lost My Marbles
    Color Glory
    Carnival
    American Masterpiece OS
    Angel Feathers
    Fragrant Summer
    Great Reversal
    Fascination
    Yellow Splash Rim
    Grand Master

Dave

• turquoise
    17 years ago

So the other day I was walking around and saw a big beautiful house with a sign that said "The Hosta House". This was right near downtown Madison (I think it was Rutledge Street by Orton Park), on the northern shore of Lake Monona. Hhhmm, I'll have to take a stroll by in summer!

• ginamarina
    17 years ago

oh my, I thought I'd check in here, but you guys have gone crazy! :o) I love hostas, but I seem to have more quantity than variety. And to be honest, I don't know what the 5 I have are called, so I better do some research. I have about 100 of them dividing my lawn from my "meadow" (where no one mows!) but they're all the same. The rest I've traded for here and there. I want to get a better collection because they are one of few plants that are considered non-toxic for my cat garden, and I'm sure the kitties will love hiding under them!

I'm in Appleton, I'll do some research and let y'all know what I have!

Gina

• ginamarina
    17 years ago

I just went to www.hostalibrary.org and about had a heart attack :P

I have no idea where to start as far as ID'ing my hostas. The one I have a few hundred of look like the one on the link below. It has pale purple flowers, wide leaves with yellow outlines, and is more on the blue side, about 18' tall. My mother got these from a nursery a zillion years ago...

Here is a link that might be useful: Most of my hostas are like this one....

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi dave...

sent you an email...did you get it??...jill

• sla762
    17 years ago

Jill - where do you live??? I too, live 1/2 hour south of GB - in Appleton!! We could connect!

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi sla...

i live in Forest Junction....east of appleton....on hwy 10...

what golf course do you live on???....i used to work at Butte des Morts...

give me a jingle when you want to visit....jill

• davej_07
    17 years ago

Hey Jill,\
    I'll have to look again, butI didnt see one.

Dave

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

dave...

email me....jill

• aka_margo
    17 years ago

Dave,
    I will probably be looking from some trades come spring! I have also started some hostas from seed this year. You will have to give us more information about the hosta sale in Cedarburg, because sounds like somewhere I need to be!
    Jen

• davej_07
    17 years ago

Anyone wanting info for the Cedarbug sale please email me and I will foreward it along. This sale is at a private residence and I don't want to just publicly post his home addy and such. All I can say is you WONT be disappointed, even if you just go to look.........yes, right hosta nuts just going to LOOK:)

Dave

• buckhill
    17 years ago

Wow--some of you are serious hosta-holics!! My mom was bragging up my hosta/shade garden last summer, so I finally thought I should count mine (thinking I must be up to 15-20 different ones by now.) Well, there turned out to be 30! (I was feeling like that was a lot, but now after reading some of your lists, I realize I am just getting started!) Most I just have one of. Wonder where those all came from?? But since my vehicle does automatically turn into any nursery I see, I'm sure I can up that number this year. Come on, spring!!

Becky

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi becky....

YEP....Hosta "ADDICTION" DOES SNEAK up on you....

welcome to the club....jill

• davej_07
    17 years ago

Addiction?!?!?!?!? No.......its NOT an addiction.........I can stop whenever I want to........Im completely in control........I have Hosta, Hosta doesnt have me.........(as he sits in the corner and trembles)

Dave

• sla762
    17 years ago

Jill= We live on Riverview CC golf course. I would LOVE to see your collections sometime!!!!

• ginamarina
    16 years ago

Would anyone be interested in swapping some plants? I have TONS but they are all one kind. I like them, but I want to have a variety area in my enclosed garden!

Gina

how hard is it to start them from seed? Ebay has seeds, but I don't need 100 of the same variety :P

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1351725}}

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

Wow! I am not sure if I am more amazed by the large number of different hosta varieties that some of you have, or by the fact that you can keep track of having that many different kinds of hostas and where you are growing them!

I seem to live somewhat near Julie and Dave, so if they are willing to do a garden tour sometime I'd love to see their plants. Would want to wait until the hostas were up and growing, of course, mine are behind this year because of the snow and cold. I only have about 5 varieties, and don't know what they are called, so I doubt I could tempt you with any hostas for a trade. But I have lots of other plants if you still do other flowers and things. I started a hosta/shade garden 2 years ago, in addition to the ones in the yard elsewhere, but also have columbine and spring bulbs and things growing with them.

Marcia (near the 7 Mile Fair)

• elvis
    16 years ago

I have a few hostas, but I do have to spray them as they are major deer candy. How do you guys deal with the deer problem?

• warhawk_grad
    16 years ago

Caught hosta fever about ten years ago, and have been happily feverish since. Every year I promise myself I'll label, map and photograph the ones I have before I add new ones.

I believe one symptom of my fever is delusions...

• led_zep_rules
    16 years ago

Elvis,

Sorry to tell you, but we have no deer eating garden problems here whatsoever. Birds, rabbits, squirrels, and slugs, but nothing as big as a deer. I hit a deer with my car about 5 miles from home last fall, but that's a different kind of deer problem. I don't know why, maybe because there is so much other stuff to eat (we have 5 acres), but they don't come near our house.

Marcia

• nanatink
    16 years ago

Holy Guackamoli I didn't know there WERE that many different kind of Hostas!
    I'm new to them and was patting myself on the back for having picked up 10 at a garage sale this past weekend for $12. LOL I have no idea what KIND they are... guess I'll sit back and try to learn from those who have gone before me. @_(_,_)_@

• kiendu
    16 years ago

I'm a hosta lover too.... in Osseo Wisconsin, about 20 miles SE of Eau Claire.

Last count a few years ago was 392 hosta, and around 80 different kinds. I'll have to update my lists again this year.

They're addicting, always thinking, dreaming, planning, buying, ect about hosta. Couldn't imagine gardening without them.

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    16 years ago

took pictures of my hostas today....

278 different kinds and still counting...

wanted to get some pictures of them "Before" the stupid helicopters and possible hail storms wreck them...

jill

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    16 years ago

"...helicopters..."?

Do copper strips work or do you use chopper strips?

tj

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tsugajunkie....LOL...."helicopters" are "tree seeds"

jill

• aka_margo
    16 years ago

The helicopters were so bad this spring, I had little maple trees by the millions in my beds. Still trying to clean them out of there!!

• tincanfarmer
    13 years ago

looking for an elvis on stage hosta here in north cackilacky,,,help me out please!!!!!!

• suzy_q_granny
    11 years ago

Did you get my email ?
    Thanks,
    Carol
    suzy_q_granny@yahoo.com

• Treebeard51
    11 years ago

http://www.shadesofgreenusa.com/

Several years ago, we bought a variety of large leaf hostas from the grower shown at the link above - Shades of Green. They are located between West Salem & La Crosse, out on a county trunk road. To use a technical term, they had/have about a bazillion varieties on site

The varieties that we bought have nicely survived some nasty weather, children, and ham-fisted transplanting. They came through this summers drought much better than some of our other hostas from other source locations, even with little watering by me.

• lmo81
    10 years ago

Has anyone been over by Osseo for hostas? I heard there is a place right off of Hwy 10. Any feedback or info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

i would have to say it was a bit of a disappointment for me.

thought we would see a field FULL of growing hostas..

instead was a field full of weeds..

his list of hostas for sale is impressive...however...maybe only 1% of them on sight..

he was a very nice man to visit, though...

and i DID manage to buy a couple of hostas, too...

jill

• hostalisa
    10 years ago

Newhostaaddict, saying 'a bit of a disappointment' regarding the weeds is being very kind.

He has many of his own streaked seedlings that are looking nice, I hope he will have good luck with them.

Seems health reasons have set him back a little.

Yes, very very nice man to chat with, he definitely knows his HVX stuff, which I was glad to hear.

I did buy a couple nice looking plants and believe the future can be bright for him and fellow hostanistas in the central WI area.

Still really do miss Foxfire!!

PS I live in Wausau.

• newhostaaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hostalisa,,,,my mother taught me to try always to be "kind"

now,,,,if you want to be blown away by a "bazillion" hostas...

I can recommend a good day at Als Autobody and Arboretum in Walworth, WI....google it...you will be amazed...

and he also has a good number of choices for sale...

jill

• lmo81
    10 years ago

My sister in law and I ended up stopping there and I really liked the guy. I would go back again as when I stopped I didn't buy. We rent right now and when we move everything comes with; I don't want to dig more than we already have. He had a decent amount of hostas there but yes it was different than what I was expecting.

Hostalisa, I live near Wausau. I didn't get to experience Fox Fire but heard a lot about it. I'm always on the lookout for new places to go. Once we buy a house then I can do more buying.

I did buy a Sagae earlier in the summer and it's taking right off. I did get a nice chunk though.

Liz

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz